Appointment in Boston. Success? YES! Updated Dec 17

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Appointment in Boston. Success? YES! Updated Dec 17

Post by tonyric »

blah
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Appointment yesterday in Boston... Success??? I think so

Post by corrado »

let us know when you get our papers!
Tore

Post by Tore »

Tony, death certificates for your grandparents were required? Was it because they were born less than 100 years ago. How long did it take you to get an appt with the Boston Consulate? And what exactly is this declaration of living ascendant?
I will no doubt have other questions as I plan to file with the Boston consulate fairly soon (still waiting for USCIS) but this ones come to mind instantly.. oh by the way CONGRATS!!!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tore wrote:Tony, death certificates for your grandparents were required? Was it because they were born less than 100 years ago. How long did it take you to get an appt with the Boston Consulate? And what exactly is this declaration of living ascendant?
I will no doubt have other questions as I plan to file with the Boston consulate fairly soon (still waiting for USCIS) but this ones come to mind instantly.. oh by the way CONGRATS!!!
For each direct-line ancestor, either a "Declaration of Living Italian Ascendant" or a "Declaration of Deceaesed Italian Ascendant" is required (Forms 3 and 4 at this New York consulate site, for exapmle). You must prove that an ascendant is deceased -or- produce the living ascendant so that he/she may swear (in writing) that he/she never renounced Italian citizenship.

That is the most likely reason for the death certificate requirement.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Tore wrote:I will no doubt have other questions as I plan to file with the Boston consulate fairly soon (still waiting for USCIS) but this ones come to mind instantly.
I am in the same situation, have almost all documents ready for Boston's consulate. Waiting for my USCIS non-existence of naturalization certificate.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Appointment in Boston. Success? YES! Updated Dec 17

Post by tonyric »

blah
Tore

Post by Tore »

CONGRATS Tony good job!!
Btw how long did it take you to get an appointment with the Boston consulate? I see on the New York consulate page the wait can be a year? We are still waiting for USCIS to send us the index number for my MGF.. they say they are processing requests received in August, our request was there (they cashed the check) the first of July. I emailed them and they emailed back (once) saying they would look into it all I had to do was provide them with a GEN or CNT number... what the heck are those? (I asked politely) and never heard from them again :(... waiting waiting waiting..
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Congratulations! I just got some of my documents translated. I will get them legalized in Philly and then try to apply in Boston when my no-records certification from USCIS arrives. Hopefully soon into the new year...

Congrats again...
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Tore wrote:CONGRATS Tony good job!!
Btw how long did it take you to get an appointment with the Boston consulate? I see on the New York consulate page the wait can be a year? We are still waiting for USCIS to send us the index number for my MGF.. they say they are processing requests received in August, our request was there (they cashed the check) the first of July. I emailed them and they emailed back (once) saying they would look into it all I had to do was provide them with a GEN or CNT number... what the heck are those? (I asked politely) and never heard from them again :(... waiting waiting waiting..
Boston is quick, under 3 months from multiple reports and personal experience.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Mulé wrote:Congratulations! I just got some of my documents translated. I will get them legalized in Philly and then try to apply in Boston when my no-records certification from USCIS arrives. Hopefully soon into the new year...

Congrats again...
Thanks, let me know if you need any questions answered and I will do my best.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

ok thanks... Boston told me that they could not give me an appointment until I had applied for my mother in Philly. Doesn't make sense to me, asked many times. So I am going to wait until I have all the philly documents already legalized at the philly consulate and then just ask for an appointment to present all my documents without my mother having to file first. She can sign the living ascendant form and not complete a whole application. Otherwise if Boston won't give me appointment, I will have to figure out what to do next. I don't want to file an application for my mother, then wait for that to complete before I file.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Mulé wrote:ok thanks... Boston told me that they could not give me an appointment until I had applied for my mother in Philly. Doesn't make sense to me, asked many times. So I am going to wait until I have all the philly documents already legalized at the philly consulate and then just ask for an appointment to present all my documents without my mother having to file first. She can sign the living ascendant form and not complete a whole application. Otherwise if Boston won't give me appointment, I will have to figure out what to do next. I don't want to file an application for my mother, then wait for that to complete before I file.
It seems odd that he is doing that. Might be because you told him that your mother MIGHT do it so he wants to uncomplicate things. My father had no interest so I had him sign the declaration of living ascent and told Sig. Corrao that my father has no interest and had no problem.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I will tell him that my mother has no interest in filing but will gladly sign the declaration of living ascendant as well.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Thanks for the update! Boston is my consulate as well. I've spoken to that man twice on the phone and he did give me the third degree, maybe to weed out people who haven't done their research. I have all of my documents, but keep putting it off for some reason. The biggest issue is that my great-grandfather Diego Bianco went by John in this country. His US documents are always John except for his father's citizenship petition (Diego was already married at that point with three children)...

I'm really happy for you! Congrats!!

:D
Tore

Post by Tore »

Tony a quick question, how did you get an apostile for your moms 'living ascendant' letter? Notarized I can understand but the apostile?