Best way to learn Italian

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Squigy
Master
Master

Best way to learn Italian

Post by Squigy »

I've decided I would like to learn Italian, what is the best way to do this? I was thinking Rosetta Stone but, I see some people say it doesn't teach you the language structure, just words. Is Pimsleur any good? Would it be a good idea to use Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone? Also, how long would it take before you can fluently speak the language?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Best way to learn Italian

Post by PeterTimber »

Squigy the method for learning Italian depends upon the extent of your motivation and willingness to devote your mental energies to this task.

The non memorization and oblique learning started during WW11 when they desperately need agents to learn foreign languges to work behind enemy lines and translate into english by mouth,wire or document. It was easy enough to learn then since not learning the language could very easily lead to capture and death by the enemy so the motivation was HIGH to learn the easy way.

Most everyday students of language learn trust words and phrases and not bother to become well acquainted with the language by memorizing grammar rule and procedures which will then allow you to construct your own sentences by augmenting your vocabulary thru dictionary and written and verbal media.

I spelled this out to another inquirer in which you participated yesterday with didn't I? =peter=
~Peter~
MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaurizioPerrone »

You cannot hope to learn some new language from computer program.

Move to Italy for some years is best way to learn. You must immerse yourself in the language by speaking to natives in every situation every day for many years to truly work toward fluency.

As Peter say, also depend on your motivation, why you want to learn? If it is for work purpose or because you are moving to Italy, there is much incentive. If only for interest in Italian genealogy, will be difficult, how can you do this? Maybe you can take a course at nearby university to learn basics?
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Thank you both for replying. I think I'll have to wait a few years before deciding on a method of learning the language. Again, thank you both for your advice.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Once you learn the basics,memorize the verbs (regular and irregular), the few rules of italian grammar you will never forget. You might get rusty but it all comes back if you start speaking and writing. Reading is easier=Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My sister married a man from Naples and taught herself Italian. It did take a few years to learn it correctly. She is fluent and speaks to him and his family in Italy. There are quicker programs but to really be fluent you have to be around people so you can use it everyday.

With that being said I would also like to learn it. That way I can practice with my sister. Is there one program or book thats best to start with? I took a year of spanish and it seems somewhat similar. Do you think Ill have an advantage in learning the language knowing intermediate spanish?

Alicia

PS- Im sure your wondering why I dont ask my sister. We are in a little argument right now :oops:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Alicia familiarty with Spanish or even French for that matter is helpful in that you will feel comfortable in manner the language is constructed with verbs, regular and irregular, and the similar pronouns. The only differences are in some rules of grammar, some expressions and, of course grammar

Teaching yourself is difficult because it is listening and talking and so perhaps Rosetta Stone might be the best way to learn the language provided your truly motivated.

Subscribing to Italian newspaper and reading it each day will also help since each day you willbecome more familiar with sentence structure and idomatic expressions cannot be word for word translated (It's raining cats and dogs is an english idiomatic expression and means gibberish when you translate it in another language).

Whats needed is motivation to learn and practice. =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well Im definitely the motivated type. Im in collge now even though I have 4 kids. Of course its all online though. Thats where I took a year of spanish. I read reveiws for learning software for languages and although rosetta stone is good, its expensive. Believe it or not one of the best rated was instant immersion and its $39.95. What a bargain. Anyone try it?

My sister was lucky because she could talk to her husband and his family in italian. She also did like you said and read Italian books and watched Italian TV. But all in all, it took awhile.

Alicia