[b]Help Me Begin My Search - Rossi Family - Livorno/La Spezi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
simone316

[b]Help Me Begin My Search - Rossi Family - Livorno/La Spezi

Post by simone316 »

My mother died 4 years ago and I am trying to build up a family tree - unfortunately I have very little to go on as both my grandparents died before I was born and I do not have their names. My mother did have 3 siblings in the Parma region. Can anyone give me ideas on how to start my search? Thanks. :?:
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: [b]Help Me Begin My Search - Rossi Family - Livorno/La S

Post by ptimber »

working backward is the key but in your case you will need the town of origin which is where ALL italian records begin except for provincial records forarmy service. In your case the province of Parma has 777 persons living there now in numerous communtiies. If you had the name of the totwn or village of origin you would have no problems whatsoever. Peter
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vineviz »

simone316 wrote:My mother died 4 years ago and I am trying to build up a family tree - unfortunately I have very little to go on as both my grandparents died before I was born and I do not have their names. My mother did have 3 siblings in the Parma region. Can anyone give me ideas on how to start my search? Thanks. :?:
As Peter says, you need to work backwards. The key in this case would seem to me to establish the date and location of your mother's birth. Her birth records would tell you the names of your grandparents.

If you don't already have her birth certificate, a marriage certificate, passport application, pension application, etc. would be good sources for nailing down the date and town of your mom's birth. Once you knew those, you could probably get her birth record.
simone316

Post by simone316 »

Thanks Guys.

I do have my mother's date of birth (2.10.29) and place of birth, Livorno. Can someone tell me how I go about getting a copy of her birth cert or info on her parents please? Thanks
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If the birth placer is Livorno in the Toscana region since there is also Livorno in Piemonte region as well then you can go to the nearest family history library and rent out the civil records which are on microfilm fro Livrono for the years 1745 to 1865. If you wish to write for a specific document then you can write to the ufficio di Stato Civile, Postale 571200, Toscana region, Italy with an italian form letter from www. circolocalabrese.org under form letters. Include a self addressed envelope, eitgher cash or postal coupons$5.US will do. You can also look up the FHL micorfilm and copy that original entry..Your choice. Peter