Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Can anyone help me to translate this record. I know the groom is Antonio Alfano and the bride is Maria Scianni. Parents of Antonino are Joseph and Antonia Gallina. I believe parents of Maria Scianni and Josef Leone and Benedetta. .

My question is this: Does Benedetta show a maiden name? Are there any maiden names, and are witnesses displayed?

Any help in better translating this doc is deeply appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi,

You will need to upload your document to a image sharing site such as Photobucket or imageshack so someone can view it. Documents attached to posts do not come through.

T.
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Though the writing is very light, what I am able to see looks like it's in latin.

I see what looks like two names near the bottom of your first image. My guess is that it reads Bernardo Inzerra and Joachim Lojacono.

As for Benedetta...it may be a last name Spurio(a) after the name.

There are others here who are better able to translate the Latin...I'm sure they will also post what they have read for you.

T.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Benedetta's last name is Spurio, but spurio, in italian, means illegitimate and was a surname given to children not recognized by the parents. After the last name Spurio there are the words "vulgo Leoni" that means "commonly known as Leoni". I don't know if Leoni was the surname of the real father of Benedetta (or the man that people think to be her real father) or, on the contrary, only a nickname (or even a family nickname, because the illegitimate child could be her father, and Spurio could be his official surname).
The witnesses (like Tessa said) were Bernardo Inzerra and Gioacchino Lojacono (Bernardo and Gioacchino are first names).

L.
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Thank you so much for the translation. I do know that Benedetta Leone was my grandmother 's (Maria Scianni) mother. However, i am VERY surprised to learn that she may not actually be a Leone. Spurio? WOW! That's a shock. LOL A nickname? - An odd nickname.

Can u expand on the Spurio issue?

Why would they note that the bride's mom had some sort of history?

Have ypu seen this with other records?

thanks again for being so helpful and for helping with the other names on the record! M many thanks!!!!!
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:Can u expand on the Spurio issue?
No, i haven't much evidences about the last name Spurio, but i'm quite sure of what i said above.

Why would they note that the bride's mom had some sort of history?
He (the priest) didn't remark the fact, he simply reported the real situation about her surname.

Have ypu seen this with other records?
Not in my researches.
L.
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Tessa and Lucap,

I've added a wedding record at
http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... tryLDS.png

Can u please help translate the record. I am hoping to identify the parents of the bride (Antonina Gallina) and the groom Joseph Alfano.

Any help is very much appreciated. You can contact me directly at
222helepera333@222verizon333.net - However, to prevent spam, pls remove all numbers from the above address.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:I am hoping to identify the parents of the bride (Antonina Gallina) late ANTONINO and GIUSEPPA ....

and the groom Joseph Alfano: late FRANCESCO and living LUCIA DILIBERTO
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo Witnesses

Post by helepera »

Thank you, Lucap. Are u able to determine who witnessed the wedding. I think tone of the names is Boscarino?
Also, I am unable to determine the month of the marriage. Is it June or July.

Many thanks, again!
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Also, were u able to determine the maiden name of the bride's mother. Do the records show this info.

Thanks, Lucap.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:Also, were u able to determine the maiden name of the bride's mother. Do the records show this info.
The info is in the document but i'm not able to read it because it's not very clear and the same for the witnesses's names: you should provide a more detailed image (bigger size)
The month is August.

L.
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Thank you. I did the best I could with the image. The original was very light. I was able to make out Boscarino and now, thanks to you, I have the month!

It's very odd, but each time I reply to this board, everything I see is in Spanish.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:... I was able to make out Boscarino and now,
Maybe mastro Salvatore Buscarino e Giuseppe Lala (Lala is sure only at 20/30%)

L.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Go to the top right of this page and find the flags. Click on the flag of the language you prefer.