Citizenship Paperwork

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
terpe

Citizenship Paperwork

Post by terpe »

Hello,

I think I have collected most of what is needed to start this process. A couple of questions; Under "Additional Requirements for All Categories" it's says I need a copy my wife's birth certificate. In this instance I do not see a requirement for it to be in "certified copy". Maybe I am overlooking it since everything else requires certification. Does it indeed need to be a certified copy?

Also, once I have that, I need translations and Apostilles of all documents. I am not absolutely sure of procedure here. Do I send for Apostilles or get the translastions done first or doesn't it matter.

I appreciate any help. It was through the help on this site that I finally was able to procure my Grandfather's birth certificate. Thanks so much!
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Citizenship Paperwork

Post by CowryShells »

This thread should answer your second question:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... ocopy.html

Your first question may have a different answer depending on which consulate you are working with. It's probably safest to get a certified copy.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The most efficient way is to make copies of the original and work on the translations while the original is sent out for apostille. All the documents you submit should be in long form and certified. Whether or not you need an apostille for documents not in the direct line depends on the consulate.
terpe

Post by terpe »

Thank you all. This has been very helpful.