Citizenship when born at sea?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sheman

Citizenship when born at sea?

Post by sheman »

My great grandfather Joseph Paonessa was born at sea abt 1889 according to census records. I know he married in 1918 to Stella Redmond at the Methodist-Episcopal Church in Hermon, St. Lawrence County, New York State, USA. I also know he died April 13, 1932 in New York State. (My father's information says Joseph died in 1942.)
Census records indicate that Joseph's parents were born in Italy.
His last name has been seen on census records as Paenssa, and Pernicia.
My father seems to recollect some relatives near the Niagara Falls area, but unfortunately can not recall any names. Joseph and Stella only had one daughter. Hilda Beatrice Paonessa Simmons Eaton.
Any ideas on how to find out where he may have come in to the US would be appreciated. I am at a dead end. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of this posting.

Sincerely,
Tina Ann Eaton-Wilford
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship when born at sea?

Post by ptimber »

did you try canada immigration as well as www.ellisisland.org and then file form 81 with NARA for ALL entries into the USA thru ANY port?? For canada try www.ingeneas.com. Please let me assist you. Peter
sheman

Post by sheman »

Peter,
No, I haven't checked those things out. I didn't even know about them until today when I stumbled upon this forum.
If you think you can be of assistance. I'd love the help. If you wish you can email me directly at sheman1973@aol.com

Thank you.
Sincerely,

Tina Ann Eaton Wilford
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The purpose of this forum is not only to assist people with their research but provide a venue for wannabe genealogists who wish to learn the easy way to success and happiness thru genealogy instead of dealing with their impotence. Soimething very personal can be handled thru the private message board but not for routine genealogy. Peter
Amck

Post by Amck »

ptimber wrote:did you try canada immigration as well as www.ellisisland.org and then file form 81 with NARA for ALL entries into the USA thru ANY port?? For canada try www.ingeneas.com. Please let me assist you. Peter
I've been learning so much through this site! Thanks to both Peter and Suanj! It is really helpful when you answer other people's questions with "posts" - so I too can folllow up on that tip or search with my research! With that in mind...

What does "form 81 with NARA" mean exactly?

Again, I am very greatful to have found this site!
Looking for info on surname Vetrone for family tree. Michael or Michele Vetrone I believe is from the area of Casalduni Benevento - immigrated 1890's Michael in 1892 and his wife 1893 Mary or Maria (Beltrano - Bettrani - Beltrani) from same area.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

NARA (USA ARCHIVES)has a form for all passenger arrivals in the USA from1820 to 1959 and it isForm 81-Passenger arrivals records. This is the basic search when no other information is readily available. If you go thru the www.Nara.gov website and just put in Canada USA crossings or something similar you may get additional information on border crossings as well. In that case just indicate to NARA you are seeking Canada USA border crossing indices. You can get the form 81by going to www.Nara.gov and then click for immigration and there you can order forms such asa Form 81. Peter