Translating Castelbuono Sicily Death Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
RobinJoMina

Translating Castelbuono Sicily Death Record

Post by RobinJoMina »

I have a handwritten, three page document I photographed while doing genealogy research in Castelbuono, Sicily. I don't speak Italian and would love to know what it all says. I'm hoping it will clear up a puzzle regarding my great grandfather's death and some family anecdotes. His name was Nicolo Mina, he was first married to Madelena Mantoro then 2nd wife was Rosalia Turrisi with whom he had at least 9 children (8 immigrated to New York).

I've uploaded 10 images (lines are numbered) to Photobucket....Hope the link works.

Very grateful for help.

--Robin

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad57 ... ts%202009/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translating Castelbuono Sicily Death Record

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Robin,

I can try to start you off with a translation of most of your image #1 (P1) lines A - E:

In the year 1905, on the 9th of October in the afternoon at 12 PM in Castlebuono, there appeared before the town administrator, Vincenzo (Can't read the last name), age 70, priest, son of deceased Santi, and presented a copy of an "atto di ______....."
After that I can't read the line clearly.

I'm sure someone will fill in the missing parts for you.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Vincenzo's last name in the P1 doc. looks like "Cusimano"

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

P2 -
Looks like there was a translation of document from New York dated August 24, 1905. The translation was from the registry of deaths in the city of New York. I think the certificate number is mentioned, but I can't quite get it.
It is the Certificate of death of Nicola Mina, sex male, color white, place (of death?) 645 East 13th St., New York. Age 57 years, 11 mos.

Others will check this I'm sure...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

After the age, at the end of LINE 13, is mentioned something about marriage)

LINE 14 - Occupation, shoemaker (calzolaio) - Born in Italy - Immigrated to USA (2) years - resident of New York City 2 years - Name of father Antonio Mina, born in Italy - Name of mother Maddalena Mantoro - born in Italy (this is through the end of LINE 18.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have to go...but I'm sure someone will pick up with LINE 19 on the third image.

T.
RobinJoMina

Post by RobinJoMina »

Tessa, thanks a lot! The handwriting is so impossible for me to puzzle out.

I didn't dream there would be a certificate number for his death in New York. I've looked and haven't yet found a death certificate in New York.

"Vincenzo ?Cusimano?, age 70, priest, son of deceased Santi." I wonder who the deceased Santi is? We know Vincenzo can't be Nicolo's son since Nicolo was 57 when he died.

Thank you so much, and I do hope some others will weigh in.

Robin
RobinJoMina

Post by RobinJoMina »

Interesting. His father was indeed Antonio Onofrio Minà, but Madalena Mantoro was his first wife, not his mother, and I think she died a year or so after they married, maybe in childbirth abt 1872. Nicolo's mother's name was Maria Santa Guiseppa Barreca. Guess it all got a little scrambled by the informant.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Tessa78 wrote: In the year 1905, on the 9th of October in the afternoon at 12 PM in Castlebuono, there appeared before the town administrator, Vincenzo (Can't read the last name), age 70, priest, son of deceased Santi, and presented a copy of an "atto di decesso e mi ha richiesto di trascriverlo esattamente per intero nei registri...
L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Tessa78 wrote:P2 -
Looks like there was a translation of document from New York dated August 24, 1905. The translation was from the registry of deaths in the city of New York. I think the certificate number is mentioned, but I can't quite get it.
It is the Certificate of death of Nicola Mina [Nicolò Minà], sex male, color white, place (of death?) 645 East 13th St., New York. Age 57 years, 11 mos.
L.
RobinJoMina

Post by RobinJoMina »

Thanks, Lucap, for that certificate number! Is there a date of death? The clerk at the archives (who understandably didn't speak English) said something about August? but I thought he died in December 1904 (which is on his gravestone in New York). I wonder also if it has a cause of death.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

lines 24-26
"... a quanto posso assicurare è morto in seguito a paralisi cardiaca [=infarto] causata da bronchite acuta [but acuta is crossed out] cronica."

The date of death seems to be december 25th 1904, at hour 3 [i think a.m.]

L.
RobinJoMina

Post by RobinJoMina »

Thanks! I have to leave but I'll try to suss it all out by line when I get back.
RobinJoMina

Post by RobinJoMina »

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad57 ... c217-1.jpg

Can a savior try Image F Lines 40-49 (above)?

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad57 ... c219-1.jpg

Also Image G above, a continuation, lines 50-55?

I wish I could make it easier since I'm begging. I want to get as much information as possible to order the New York death certificate.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Robin
PS I'm also wondering why a death in NY had to be registered locally.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

This is from the NY death index.

Mina Nicola 57 y Dec 25 1904 41744

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa