Letter from Italy today- Need help translating

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Letter from Italy today- Need help translating

Post by SChiarini »

Hi all

I just received a letter today in the mail from Italy after requesting an official birth certificate of my GGF. However, I'm not sure if at the bottom if it says they found no records? Your help would be much appreciated.

I will attach it and write it out also (in case the attachment doesn't work)

ESTRATTO PER RIASSUNTO DEL REGISTRO DEGLI ATTI DI NASCITA
Dal registro degli atti di nascita dell'anno 1889 atto
numbero 167 parte 1 serie risulta che
PROSCIA FRANCESCO
di MICHELE
e di FAZIO PASQUA
di sesso MASCHILE
e' nato a BITETTO
il giorno 6 del mese di settembre dell'anno 1889
alle ore 10 e minuti 0

ANNOTAZIONI
----------------
NESSUNA

(The "ANNOTAZIONI- NESSUNA is what is confusing me a bit, not sure if it reads Annotation No because they are under one another - however if you put them together it says "No Records")

Thanks for your help and clarification in advance :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Letter from Italy today- Need help translating

Post by PeterTimber »

It is the same as no further notations beyond what they submitted (in the above)=Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Rough translation

Francesco Procia son of Michele and Pasqa di Fazio was born in Bitetto September 6, 1889 at 10:00.

There are no notations to the record.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

misbris wrote:Rough translation

Francesco Procia son of Michele and Pasqa di Fazio was born in Bitetto September 6, 1889 at 10:00.

There are no notations to the record.
"Notations" would typically be things such as date and place of marriage and/or death, for example. No notations would lead one to believe that neither of these events occurred while he was in Italy.

Correct?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Johnny it the same as saying "there are no further additons to the record" =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Johnny it the same as saying "there are no further additons to the record" =Peter=
Yes, I understand that; I wanted the original poster to know what is meant by "Notations".
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Johnny,

You are correct. If he had married or died in Italy, it would be noted in the record. :lol:
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Thanks so much all :) you've been a very helpful! I understand now what everything means.

I'm assuming this letter would be okay to show the consulate?? given that its on the Commune letterhead and has the official stamp - because it's not really a birth certificate- just an extract.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

SChiarini wrote:Thanks so much all :) you've been a very helpful! I understand now what everything means.

I'm assuming this letter would be okay to show the consulate?? given that its on the Commune letterhead and has the official stamp - because it's not really a birth certificate- just an extract.
What you have described is exactly what the consulate is expecting to see.

Good luck!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

SChiarini wrote:.... - because it's not really a birth certificate- just an extract.
In Italy a birth certificate would only certify that a person was born on a certain date. See this example http://www.webalice.it/liviomoreno/pict ... errato.jpg

An "Estratto per riassunto del registro degli atti di nascita" includes all the significant informations contained in the original record written in the book register, namely parents name and possible notations such as marriage and death.

An An "Estratto per copia integrale del registro degli atti di nascita" is a word-by-word transcription of the record written in the book register. Often it is a photocopy.