Grotte Girgenti ( Aggrigento ) Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
tulumello

Grotte Girgenti ( Aggrigento ) Sicily

Post by tulumello »

Although I can find information about this town and province, it would be nice to correspond with other families who have originated from here.

A few of the family names that I know from Grotte are Rivituso, LoBosco, Ingrao, Rizzo, Salvaggio, Pilato, Vinci, Cipolla, Mancuso, La Mendola, Moreale and of course my family surname Tulumello.

Anyone with roots in Grotte, contact me. I would love to hear your stories about the town and your relatives. I have two websites that I created www.angelfire.com/retro/lobosco and www.angelfire.com/ca/tully
micelf01

Re: Grotte Girgenti ( Aggrigento ) Sicily

Post by micelf01 »

My family is from Grotte. My father decided to move back to Grotte in 84. They still live there. I moved back to the UK.

My Name is Franco Miceli. My mums maiden name was Licata.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

How many hours driving is involved to go from merry old to Sicily? =Peter=
~Peter~
micelf01

Post by micelf01 »

PeterTimber wrote:How many hours driving is involved to go from merry old to Sicily? =Peter=
what does "merry old" mean
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Merry Old England!! =Peter=
~Peter~
tulumello

Post by tulumello »

Hi Franco; If you check out the lobosco family tree at the website that I listed previously you will see that my grand mother's sister married a Licata.

Interesting enough, when my grandmother and her brothers moved to North America, one of her brothers was murdered by a Salvatore Licata, in 1922 in Welland, Ontario Canada. Although Michele Lobosco lived for a couple of days after being shot, he refused to identify the person who pulled the trigger. I theorize that the Salvatore Licata who shot and killed him was somehow related to his brother in law back in Sicily. Perhaps if your mum is also from Grotte and related to the Pepino Licata on my Lobosco Family tree, we could be related.

ptulumello@hotmail.com
Amanda30

Post by Amanda30 »

I am also trying to get in touch with Tulumello family members. My great-grandmother, Mariangela Tulumello was born (1901-1944) in Grotte and moved to the United States in 1934 with her two children (and went on to have two more in the U.S.) with my great-grandfather, Giuseppe Morreale (1893-1978) who had been going back and forth from the U.S. to Sicily to earn money.

Mariangela descended from a Giuseppe Tulumello, who had a son named Andrea Tulumello (1781-1841), who had a son named Vincenzo Tulumello (1816-1867), who had a son, Antonio Tulumello (1857-1907) - which was Mariangela's father. You can see my entire family tree which is public on Ancestry.com (Rosner/Bronowski Family tree).

It would be great to get in touch with other Tulumello family members. I know Mariangela had at least two brothers that came to the United States (Calogero Tulumello aka Charles Tulumello (1891-1933) and possibly Onofrio Tulumello (b. 1895-????). I have no information on what happened to him or if he ever came to the U.S. for sure.

If anyone has information about this branch of the family, I would like to hear from you. Please contact me through this genealogy forum.

Thanks!
Amanda
Peppi Tulumello

Post by Peppi Tulumello »

Hi Amanda,

I suspect that your great grandmother was more than likely a first cousin to my grandfather Vincenzo Tulumello.

Because you mention that she had a brother Onofrio who was a first cousin to my grandfather and came to Buffalo New York. Where did your great grandmother live in United States?