Searching for my great grandparents
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Right back at ya!

Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Check out the text copy of the manifest.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewT ... 5214010353
We need to find census records to see how many children Elenora actually had.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewT ... 5214010353
We need to find census records to see how many children Elenora actually had.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
I found a US Naturalization record for "Nicholas Andrew D'Alessandro", from 1920. He was 19, and was born in Tursi on May 5, 1901. He immigrated "around the 21st of June, 1901" on the "Lombard" according to his declaration.
When I look at the text copy of the manifest I notice that Nicolina is a male and is age 1y. This could be the same man. Interesting that momsrule said the father's name was "Andrew" which is this young man's middle name.
Just a thought...
Like you said, we need to find some census records.
T.
When I look at the text copy of the manifest I notice that Nicolina is a male and is age 1y. This could be the same man. Interesting that momsrule said the father's name was "Andrew" which is this young man's middle name.
Just a thought...
Like you said, we need to find some census records.
T.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
So sorry, I asked that it send me updates if someone replies but it didn't and I decided to come back and check.
That would be her Ellis Island records, she came over with a couple of her daughers.
The other daughter Angelina (my g grandma) came over with the rest of the kids after the father died, I belive it was like 2 years after. I know they ended up settling in PA.
That would be her Ellis Island records, she came over with a couple of her daughers.
The other daughter Angelina (my g grandma) came over with the rest of the kids after the father died, I belive it was like 2 years after. I know they ended up settling in PA.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
These were her children (not sure who came when)
Philomena Lauria
Willamina Lauria
Delores Lauria
Alfonsia Lauria dob 7/10/1885
Angelina Lauria dob 3/7/1887
Vincent Lauria
Anthony Lauria
Filicetta Lauria dob 4/18/1894
Antonette Lauria
Bettina Lauria- dob 11/7/1895
all of them were born in Curinga I was told.
Philomena Lauria
Willamina Lauria
Delores Lauria
Alfonsia Lauria dob 7/10/1885
Angelina Lauria dob 3/7/1887
Vincent Lauria
Anthony Lauria
Filicetta Lauria dob 4/18/1894
Antonette Lauria
Bettina Lauria- dob 11/7/1895
all of them were born in Curinga I was told.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Here is the manifest with your GGM and her brother and 2 sisters.
It was listed in Ancestry as "Augiohua Lauria"
SS Hesperia, arriving NY, July 15, 1901
Lines 13, 14, 15, 16
Angiolina Lauria, 14
Vincenzo, 11
Antonetta, 10
Felicetta, 8
All from Tursi, Italy
Destination Pittsburgh
Going to join mother Leonora Lauria in Youngstown, PA
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... st1901.jpg
They were also listed on a Detained Passengers list which listed their mother's address as: 607 Webster Ave, Pittsburgh.
T.
It was listed in Ancestry as "Augiohua Lauria"
SS Hesperia, arriving NY, July 15, 1901
Lines 13, 14, 15, 16
Angiolina Lauria, 14
Vincenzo, 11
Antonetta, 10
Felicetta, 8
All from Tursi, Italy
Destination Pittsburgh
Going to join mother Leonora Lauria in Youngstown, PA
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... st1901.jpg
They were also listed on a Detained Passengers list which listed their mother's address as: 607 Webster Ave, Pittsburgh.
T.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Thank you so much, so they were actually from Tursi ? I was always told Curdinga.
Now I will have to start searching in Tursi.
Thanks again !
Now I will have to start searching in Tursi.
Thanks again !
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
We're glad to help.
Just want to mention...when Eleonora came here in 1899, she was already a widow (noted on her ship manifest).
T.
Just want to mention...when Eleonora came here in 1899, she was already a widow (noted on her ship manifest).
T.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
OH wow, thats a huge help. Do you know anything on how to look up death records in Italy by chance?
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
You can go to your local Family History Center run by the Church of Latter Day Saints. There you can order the microfilm of the records from the town (comune) in Italy you want to search. For a small fee (about $6) they will send it to your local FHC for you to use. They have the microfilm machines, etc. there. You can begin by going to familysearch.org
Under search records choose Library catalog and click on place search... enter Tursi and Italy.
They have the records for Tursi from 1810 - 1929. Order the film AT the FHC Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ato+civile++
If you don't read Italian, an excellent book that was recommended to me, and I found invaluable, is "Discovering your Italian Ancestors - How to find and record your unique heritage" by Lynn Nelson. Read it before you look at the films...
Everyone here at the forum can guide you, or answer questions that you have. They can also help you translate documents that you have found.
Good luck, and enjoy the experience.
T.
Under search records choose Library catalog and click on place search... enter Tursi and Italy.
They have the records for Tursi from 1810 - 1929. Order the film AT the FHC Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ato+civile++
If you don't read Italian, an excellent book that was recommended to me, and I found invaluable, is "Discovering your Italian Ancestors - How to find and record your unique heritage" by Lynn Nelson. Read it before you look at the films...
Everyone here at the forum can guide you, or answer questions that you have. They can also help you translate documents that you have found.
Good luck, and enjoy the experience.
T.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
The death records are listed as "Morti"
T.
T.
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
AND you can locate your nearest LDS Family History Center by going to there home page and putting in your zip code.

Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Tessa- You rock. I'll call them in the morning 
Re: Searching for my great grandparents
Hi!
Question, is it possible that Eleanora's maiden name was D`Alessandro & her husband's surname was Lauria?
Valarie
another son:
1902 manifest
30 Jan 1902, SS Nord America, Naples to NY
Francesco Lauria 15, born 1887, from Tursi
joining mother Leonara
---
from T & mj's manifest finds in 1899 and 1901:
Eleanora Lauria 1860
Filomena (in 1899, married living near Briar Hill or Youngstown Mahoning County Ohio)
Guglielmina (Wilhelmina?) 1882
Alfonso 1883
Angiolena 1884
Francesco 1886
Vincenzo 1890
Antonietta 1891
Felicetta 1893
Bettina 1896
Beniamino 1899
Question, is it possible that Eleanora's maiden name was D`Alessandro & her husband's surname was Lauria?
Valarie
another son:
1902 manifest
30 Jan 1902, SS Nord America, Naples to NY
Francesco Lauria 15, born 1887, from Tursi
joining mother Leonara
---
from T & mj's manifest finds in 1899 and 1901:
Eleanora Lauria 1860
Filomena (in 1899, married living near Briar Hill or Youngstown Mahoning County Ohio)
Guglielmina (Wilhelmina?) 1882
Alfonso 1883
Angiolena 1884
Francesco 1886
Vincenzo 1890
Antonietta 1891
Felicetta 1893
Bettina 1896
Beniamino 1899

