1851 Mattora birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

1851 Mattora birth

Post by oilman19 »

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: 1851 Mattora birth

Post by liviomoreno »

Grazia Mattora
born 22 November 1851
father Matteo Mattora, 31, son of Gennaro
mother Antonia di Lorenzo, 29, daughter of Arcangelo
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you Livio.
You helped me with my last translation for my great grandfather. His mother was noted as Mariantonia in 1852. Should I draw any conclusion other than her name was more formal on one birth record than the other? Did they simply shorten her name on this birth act?

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I also noticed that my Mariantonia was 27 in 1852 birth act and 29 in the 1851 birth act. Can you clarify this for me? Did her age get messed up on one of the birth records? Please help.

Thank you,

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Also, Matteo was 30 in 1852 and 31 in 1851. Is this a common problem?

Jim
Jim

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

It was not unusual that people messed up with their ages when announcing a birth and this is true also for names...
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

It sure makes it more difficult to find their birth records. I guess that is what makes our research so challenging. As you may have observed, it seems every time I find a document for translation, a new mystery evolves.
Thank you for your help.

Jim
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liviomoreno wrote:It was not unusual that people messed up with their ages when announcing a birth and this is true also for names...
Keeping in mind that a large percentage of our ancestors were illiterate (unable to read, write, or perform anything but the simplest arithmetic), it is easy to see how these errors could creep into official records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I know, but it is still frustrating. According to translations, both people were older in 1851 than they were in 1852 (a year later). It makes it difficult to figure out which microfilms to order from LDS.

Jim
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

oilman19 wrote:I know, but it is still frustrating. According to translations, both people were older in 1851 than they were in 1852 (a year later). It makes it difficult to figure out which microfilms to order from LDS.

Jim
But, it is the frustration that makes the ultimate victory so much sweeter! :D
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

You are right. I get very excited when I finally find an ancestor's record. I just wish they didn't have to put up so many roadblocks.
By the way, where in Conn. are you posting from?

Jim
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

oilman19 wrote: By the way, where in Conn. are you posting from?

Jim
I am currently in Waterbury, formerly of Watertown, CT, Coconut Creek, FL, Fort Lauderdale, FL, and my birthplace - Harrison, NY.
Carmine