Sicignano & Salerno help with documents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chicagostyle

Sicignano & Salerno help with documents

Post by chicagostyle »

Hi,

I'm a bit discouraged here Im hoping someone can help.
I'm trying to locate my Great Grandfather Danato Olivieri.
From what I understand he passed away in Sicignano Italy prior to 1906. I do not know his date of death or birth. Is there some way I can have a search done for his death records in Italy?
His wifes name was Vincensa she came to the U.S. in 1906 after his death. I have several records for her but they all have different years of birth.
Her death certificate does say she was born in Salerno.
Her parents are Maria Furnatame (sp) & Micalangelo Massalia or Mastolia (sp?) also born in Salerno (?)

I think I need to locate a death certificate for Danato and possibly a family certificate to give me correct information?
If anyone can give me some help I would greatly appreciate it.
I have no idea how to do this...where to write, what to write ..I'm just completely confused by the whole process.
If you could help me you would be my hero! :D

Thank You
Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Sicignano & Salerno help with documents

Post by Michael31 »

www.paginebianche.it
cognome: Olivieri dove: Sicignano Degli Alburni
84029 Sicignano Degli Alburni (SA)
cognome: Mastolia (1 in Italy)
cognome: Mastalia dove: SA
cognome: Fornataro dove: SA
www.ellisislandrecords.org
Donato Olivieri
Donato Oliveri

Vito Massalia
town: Sicignano, Italy
arrived: Oct 01,1912
ship: Duca di Genova
Port of departure: Naples
manifest line number: 0026

Massalia
Mastolia
Mastalia

www.castlegarden.org
Mastolia
Mastalia
Massalia
Fornataro
Donato Olivieri

www.pilot.familysearch.org
Massalia
Fornataro
www.familysearch.org
http://www.comune.salerno.it/
http://www.comune.salerno.it/simel/serv ... service=SC
http://www.comune.colliano.sa.it/
http://www.comune.colliano.sa.it/index. ... ndex&p=210
http://sicignanodeglialburni.asmenet.it/
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

chicagostyle wrote:...I'm trying to locate my Great Grandfather Danato Olivieri.
From what I understand he passed away in Sicignano Italy prior to 1906.
The easiest beginning may be to simply request his death certificate and see if anything comes of it.

You can try the following letter:

[your name]
[your address]

Ufficio dello Stato Civile / Anagrafe
Comune di Sicignano degli Alburni
Via M Pagano
84029 SICGNANO DEGLI ALBURNI (SA)
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Vi sarei estremamente grata se poteste effettuare una ricerca nei vostri registri e spedirmi il estratto per riassunto per atto di morte per miei bisnonno OLIVERI DONATO (moglie VINCENSA) morto nel Sicignano degli Alburni circa 1904.

Grazie mille.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]

You could try sending the above via email to segretario.conti @ hotmail.it (remove the spaces). Some comuni respond to email, others do not. Personally, I suggest putting an International AirMail stamp on an envelope and sending it by postal mail.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Do you have Vincenza's manifest? I think you must make sure to get the correct spelling of the names. Vincenza, Donato and I believe the correct spelling in Sicignano is Mastrolia or Mastalia.
chicagostyle

Post by chicagostyle »

Thank You all so very much for responding to me!
Vincensa & Danato had several children...One of which is my Grandmother. I have located most of the information for the 5 that came to the U.S. with the exception of a few items that I just cannot locate for one of the brothers who resided in New York/ New Jersey. I hope to find information on the 2 boys (Luigi & Carmine) that stayed in Italy also.

Michael31 I appreciate the links and I will check into them. I have tried to look over sites that are written in Italian before but I just come away from them with a migraine and no further information.

Misbris Thank you to you also, I have been working on my family history for some time and I do have the manifests etc. for most of the family along with other documents.

Johnnyonthespot...A special Thank You to you for your helpful letter. That is just exactly what I needed for someone to *take me by the hand* and get me rolling. The language barrier and the confusion over where to write about had me in tears. You made it very simple for me and Im sure after doing this a few times it will become much easier for me to understand..you ARE my hero! Thank You!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

For your ready reference and future needs perhaps if you go to the following website for Genealogy form letters for Births,marriages, deaths and Family certificates showing the date and place of birth of each family member (sometimes not available in every comune). usually free of charge.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

=Peter=
~Peter~
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Hi there Chicago!

I had a very similar problem. One branch of my family (last name Trimarco) was also from Salerno / Sicignano (lots of Trimarco in Chicago actually - my branch hails from NYC). For some reason, records in Salerno are notoriously difficult to get a hold of. I had a friend here on the site help me, and she was fantastic at managing to get me one of the documents I needed from the Sicignano comune. After this, I had to hire a professional genealogist in the area to assist me. I hesitated for a long time because I wasn't sure about hiring someone overseas to help me. I ultimately went ahead and hired a man named Joe De Simone, who does professional research in Salerno. He's fantastic and I highly recommend him. I've done many projects with him and all have been successful and broken down brick walls for me that I could not break down for years.

The people on this site are fantastic, and can give you precious insite and guidance. If you decide to hire Joe De Simone, I'm certain you won't be disappointed as well. The money will be well worth it. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Salerno research is difficult but don't give up! My persistance paid off eventually and so will yours!

- Felitti-Trimarco
chicagostyle

Post by chicagostyle »

I have the letter printed and ready to go...I just have a few short questions...

Should I include a self addressed return envelope?
Do I include return postage?
Should I add any type of payment?
What is the usual cost for copies of records?
Is it a 3 month turn around time like I have read?
Do they usually notify you if nothing is found?

Wow that turned into alot of questions LOL sorry.
Im a bit excited to be finally getting to mail off to Italy for records! :D
chicagostyle

Post by chicagostyle »

Thanks Peter I've book marked that web site!

Felitti-Trimarco If I am unable to locate the paperwork on my own then I will call it a day and walk away. This is a hobby, Ive made a beautiful scrap book with all of the information I have found along with photos etc.
I will work as far back as I can get and then I am done. I have to leave something for the next generation to work on right? LOL