NEW DOCUMENTS FOR TRANSLATION

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

NEW DOCUMENTS FOR TRANSLATION

Post by oilman19 »

Hi,
I found these documents of people with surnames of my ancestors. Since these names were not very common in Santa Maria C.V., I hope to eventually find a link to them.
Your help is greatly appreciated. I hope the images are large enough.

Jim

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 1879-1.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... rimoni.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: NEW DOCUMENTS FOR TRANSLATION

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

The Marriage Act is dated 4 October 1878, noon

Groom: Gennaro Mattora, 29, farmer/peasant of SMCV son of Matteo, and Antonia di Lorenzo, of SMCV.

Bride: Giuseppa Caserta, 27, farmer/peasant of SMCV, daughter of deceased Nicola (sp?) and Maria (or Marta) Signore (sp?).

Witnesses:
These are difficult to read but look like Aniello Capo, 27, (seriliente?)
and Francesco Lianese (sp?), 44, local police? (Guardia Comunale)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This birth act is for Carmine Scialla (who is a twin - second birth)
Born on 14, July 1879 at 10:30 PM @ Via Campania to Rosa Clemente, wife of Francesco Scialla, 31, farmer, residing in SMCV.
Witnesses: Pasquale Tescione, 30, farmer and Raffaele di Nardo (sp?), 27, farmer.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Wow!
Gennaro is a sibling (not previously known) of my great grandfather. This is so exciting. Is Nicola a common male given name?
It appears my hours of searching LDS microfilm is starting to pay off.
Thank you so much.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Tessa,
Could the mother be Marta Liguare? I blew it up on my computer. Does this appear to be a legitimate surname? It is not one I have heard before. Your opinion is appreciated.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

Yes, Nicola is a common male name. Others here on the forum could provide you with links to common surnames.

As for the mother's name...I also thought it might begin with "L", and your suggestion of "Liguare" seems appropriate. As to whether it is a legitimate surname, I will leave that to our experts here at the forum.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:I am not certain this site has been mentioned before, so I offer it to you now.

It lists more Italian given names than I can recall seeing in one place and is especially helpful when trying to decipher never-before-seen handwritten names (such as the "Egidio" I was just looking up).

http://www.nomix.it/700a.php
To help you with given names.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you, Tessa,

You are a big help to me. Someone had once provided a link to Italian surnames and their commonality throughout Italy. I am embarassed to say I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking.

Thank You again,

Jim
Jim

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I think you mean www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi for names and surnames distribution thruout Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I would say that the bride's mother name is Marta Signore. Signore is a rather popular surname in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, while Liguara does not exist.
The firs word of the las paragraph is "Letto" and you can see that the letter L it quite different from the initial letter of Signore.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you Peter and Livio. Upon further review, I have to agree with you Livio. It must be Signore. I should not have doubted Tessa. This info is so helpful to me and all of you at the forum have been such a blessing. I could never have progressed to this point without such professional and personal help I have received from everyone.

Many warm thanks,

Jim
Jim