citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

citizenship

Post by liltally »

Hello Everyone
I have everything ready appointments set now I find out my youngest will be having college exams that week..Is there anyway they would except an affidavit sign by him..I haven't noticed anyother questions like this but then again I could have missed it..
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
mler
Master
Master

Re: citizenship

Post by mler »

That's bad timing. Is your youngest a minor? If so, I doubt it will be a problem. If not, they may make it an issue, but if you explain the situation and bring an affidavit, they may let it pass. Unfortunately, there's no way to be sure.

If your appointment is set for May/June, it may be possible to exchange a date with someone for the following week. Perhaps the consulate would be willing to help you with this. No harm in trying.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Thank you for your answer he's 24 and appointment is for April he graduates in May, all I can do is pray there's no exam on that particular day. We'll just have to drive up late the evening before and come home the evening of..
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

liltally wrote:Thank you for your answer he's 24 and appointment is for April he graduates in May, all I can do is pray there's no exam on that particular day. We'll just have to drive up late the evening before and come home the evening of..
Well, if the final that day was in his Italian class, I bet the professor would work something out. :lol:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liltally wrote:Thank you for your answer he's 24 and appointment is for April he graduates in May, all I can do is pray there's no exam on that particular day. We'll just have to drive up late the evening before and come home the evening of..
I don't know about Miami, but the New York and Los Angeles consulates allow you to belatedly register the birth of adult children once your own citizenship has been recognized. It is a simple process which can take as little as a week or two to complete.

Basically, you fill out a form, attach your son's certified/translated/apostilled birth certificate along with a photocpy of your own Italian passport and mail the entire package to your consulate. See the "Birth" section on this page for additional info.

I used this method to register my 23 year-old son with the NYC consulate. A week after I mailed the application, he received a letter of recognition and inviting him to come to the consulate to apply for his passport.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

liltally wrote:Hello Everyone
I have everything ready appointments set now I find out my youngest will be having college exams that week..Is there anyway they would except an affidavit sign by him..I haven't noticed anyother questions like this but then again I could have missed it..
I requested an appointment for myself, my brother and my sister so that we could all file at the same time. I was given an appointment for February and I specifically asked if all three of us were required to show up. The official said not for this first meeting. I was under the impression that if all my documents were accepted, there wouldn't need to be a follow up meeting. Not sure about the process though. I guess my brother and sister would have to fill out an application at some point though so it seemed odd that they would not be required to attend the first meeting with me.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Mulé wrote:... I specifically asked if all three of us were required to show up. The official said not for this first meeting. I was under the impression that if all my documents were accepted, there wouldn't need to be a follow up meeting.
I think the consulate's experience is such that there is always a second meeting. Oftentimes a third as well. :?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Ha - they must really enjoy the repeat business. :) Is it customary to bring a gift? lol
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Mulé wrote:Ha - they must really enjoy the repeat business. :) Is it customary to bring a gift? lol
They won't accept a gift, do not bother. However, humble graciousness always goes over well.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It won't hurt to add them to your Christmas list as well.

Never know when you might need a friend at the consulate. :)
Carmine

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I will most definitely be courteous, polite, humble and gracious. I read someone's account about being to the point and not offering up any information that isn't specifically asked for. Being terse, or curt while still being polite and courteous. Yeah, will have to add them to the Xmas card list, hopefully by next year I will already be a recognized citizen too. :) Being unrecognized isn't any fun. ;)