Ellis Island (Battery temporary offices) Records March 1900

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maccaro

Ellis Island (Battery temporary offices) Records March 1900

Post by maccaro »

My Father Isidoro Maccarone every year March 19 celebrated his arrival in America w. his brother Antonio. I searched the E.Island records on two possible arrivals from Naple was the vessels "Marco Minghetti and also the SS Victoria. Went through patiently w. no success some of the pages from both manifest seems to be missing!

I could find only his second arrival in 1903 in Ellis Island, and from NY went to Montreal Canada.

He immigrated from Conca della Campania, prov. Caserta reg. Campania, by himself in 1900 he was only 14 y.

Is there another source I could find the missing pages for March 1900???
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Ellis Island (Battery temporary offices) Records March 1

Post by johnnyonthespot »

maccaro wrote:My Father Isidoro Maccarone every year March 19 celebrated his arrival in America w. his brother Antonio. I searched the E.Island records on two possible arrivals from Naple was the vessels "Marco Minghetti and also the SS Victoria. Went through patiently w. no success some of the pages from both manifest seems to be missing!

I could find only his second arrival in 1903 in Ellis Island, and from NY went to Montreal Canada.

He immigrated from Conca della Campania, prov. Caserta reg. Campania, by himself in 1900 he was only 14 y.

Is there another source I could find the missing pages for March 1900???
Actually, I think Isidoro made several trips. On ancestry . com, I see New York arrivals in 1907 and 1912, both of which appear to be the same person. The 1907 manifest, in the column "Whether ever before in the US..." indicates that he was previously in Montreal and, curiously enough, there is a manifest for an Isidoro Maccarone who sailed into Quebec; unfortunaely, I do not have an International subscription for Ancestry, so I cannot view the record.

If you don't already have an ancestry . com account, I suggest you sign up for the free trial and grab the 1907 and 1912 New York manifests as well as the ???? Quebec one.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

from the ship's manifest of 1903, well Isidoro never before in USA, you can read:

Isidoro Maccarone age 17,
arrived the: 9 Apr 1903
ship: Liguria
destination: Jersey City
joining at: uncle Carmine Imbriglio(?), 133 DUMERVICH ST, JERSEY CITY

First Name: Ioivo( Isidoro)
Last Name: Maccarone
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Comea Ca.
Date of Arrival: Apr 09, 1903
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Liguria
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0014

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0014

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

suanj wrote:from the ship's manifest of 1903, well Isidoro never before in USA...
But, if his first trip was into Canada and he returned to Italy without coming to the US...

This ancestry . com search puts three voyages at the top of the results: 1907 and 1912 into New York, and an unknown date into Quebec. I think this is the record we need to look at.

Also, I wonder if the 1903 voyage is the same Isidoro. Both the 1907 and 1912 voyages give for his relative in Italy, "Father - Pasquale". I am surprised that the 1903 does not say the same.
Carmine

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Isidoro first name is wrote as Isid.o in 1903 arrival, and yes is the same Isidoro no doubt, same birthplace and birthyear; until first part of 1907 year the ship's manifest was of 1 sheet and not 2;so the italian next of kin was no mentioned;
another trip of Isidoro in USA from Canada was:

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
about Isadoro MacArone
Name: Isadoro MacArone
Arrival Date: Nov 1906
Birth Date: abt 1886

Birth Country: Ireland (error: Italy)
Port of Arrival: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

so between 1903 to 1906 he arrived in Canada and in nov 1906 back in USA; also he declaring that was in NJ, USA for some time ( no much readable)
http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i453055_maccarone.jpg line 4

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maccaro

Post by maccaro »

Thank you Johnny & SueAn!
I confirm my father records of 1903, 1907, 1912. In the 1903 arrival in the USA from the village of Conca della Campania everyone were going to uncle Carmine Imbriglio at 133 Brunswick st. Jersey city!!!

According to my late father after is arrival in 1900 within a year, as a 14 y.o he could'nt find work in NY, and he goes to Canada between 1900 & 1901. Then sometime after goes back to Italy, but always through NY Port i.e. ( every time he returns to Italy from Canada they go through NY (crossing the Canadian border) the reason he does not trust the smaller boat leaving from Montreal!

SueAn the only record I did'nt have is the one of 1902 August 8th you send me. :D Is this record source from travelling by train and record from US immigration..what is the source of this document???

The question remains for his first trip into America (USA) of 1900 I cannot find??? The only info I have his the date he celebrated every year as 19th march 1900, and the name of the boat that he called the boat of Christofer Columbus because it took several weeks in a tempested ocean. But he could not remember the name of this boat that had large group of Italian kids and oranges (he never eat so much orange :D ) coming from Palermo ( this boat picked up also passenger in Naple before going to New York)

Again a great thanks to both of you and also the Ellis island foundation, that I contribute and had a plaque made of Isidoro Maccarone on their wall.

N.B. Isidoro the first of his family in America, sponsored 2 brothers in America, Antonio (Macherone??) 1906, and Giovanni in 1907.