where is Schio?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

where is Schio?

Post by ally »

I just found out my grandfather Pietro Santacaterina came from Schio, I noticed that it is in Venice, however, I also noticed Santacaterina in north Italy.

On papers he lists Schio Venice, exactly where is Schio in Venice. I was in Venice 4 years ago, but never heard of Schio, is it a big town, and how would I go about getting family info from there? Or findout if family still lives there. My father said his father's family owned a restaurant during the war and they called America to see if my grandfather wanted it, but he passed in 1934. Is there a way to find this restaurant, and if the family still owns/operates it?

Any help would be appreciated.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: where is Schio?

Post by ptimber »

Schio is located in the province of Vicenza in the veneto region. The postal code is 36015. The website for Schio is www.schio.vi.it which is in Italian and if you go to the www.comuni.it and insert Schio in the right hand small box you will come to the comune di schio and clicking that will give you a legend for the website and, more importantly a direct e-mail to the town fathers where it says "SCRIVE AL COMUNE". I would expect to write in Italian to facilitate any inquiries and go to www,freetranslation.com where you can have 1800 free words to translate into Italian. If you wish a local attorney please let me know so I can direct you accordingly or one experienced in italy inheritances. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

while there are several maps for Italy you can either use www.mappy,com or www.viamichelin.com. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

As for family you can go to www.paginebianche.it for 14 persons in Schio who possess your surname and may possibly be related to you. Insert Santacaterina int he first line and Schio in the third line and then click CERCA for a listing of all 14 by fulll name,address and telephone number.

If you wish to trace your family back to 1806 from 1901 you can go to the nearest family history library of the Mormon church and rent out the microfilm for Schio for a nominal amoujnt ($3.00) and it has all the civil records of births, marriages and deaths in Schio. You have the records of your immediate family which shuld take you to 1901 and then trace back.

Get back if you eed additional information. Peter
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Peter,

Thanks for the helpful information. I appreciate the time and kindness you took in answering me, and so fast too!

I will contact the Mormon, as there is one in Eatontown, which is close to where I live. Thanks again!!!

Ciao!

Ally San Caterina
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbottegal »

ptimber wrote:while there are several maps for Italy you can either use www.mappy,com or www.viamichelin.com. Peter
Peter - is there a typo in your links? I was unable to either one to respond.

- T. Bottegal
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

They both appear to be viable url's and responding properly. Get back to me if you need me to shadow you. Peter
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thanks Edmondo I used a comma instead of a period for the mappy url but the www.viamichelin works fine and comes up with the same thing as your url. Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Sorry Peter, it does not work for me either. I find that the full stop at the end of the viamichelin URL as you typed it gets copied over into Explorer, and stops it working.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It is very obviuous it needs a ".com" like www.viamichelin.com (see???). ... and it works fine for me. Peter
Raistlin

Post by Raistlin »

Hi i am from Schio
You can find more infos at www.schio.it
bye
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The website www.comuni.it and putting in Schio provfides much more information and direct e-mail to the town officers and departments. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Raistlin wrote:Hi i am from Schio
You can find more infos at www.schio.it
bye
also http://www.comune.schio.vi.it/a_15_IT_230_1.html
:wink: suanj