Borgese

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
cliklm

Borgese

Post by cliklm »

In the civil records for Lucca Sicula, Sicily (1800's) I am seeing the word "borgese" listed as the occupation of many of my ancestors. I know there is a word "Borghese" which I believe means middle clase. There is also a word "burgisi"- meaning a farmer who farms his own land. I am wondering if there were spelling differences and when the civil servant wrote borgese, it was really intended to be burgisi. The reason I ask is that most of the prior occupations for these same people are "agricoltore de companga" or "cultivatore di agricoltore".
Kathy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Borgese

Post by PeterTimber »

The Ancestry.com translation of genealogy words from Italian to English translates BURGISI as RENTER. Borghese is a middle class person. =Peter=
~Peter~
cliklm

Post by cliklm »

Thanks Peter--I guess I'll never know if they really meant "burgisi" or "borghese"! :roll:
Kathy
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

cliklm wrote:Thanks Peter--I guess I'll never know if they really meant "burgisi" or "borghese"! :roll:
Kathy
Burgisi (renter) doesn't sound like an occupation to me.

In this thread on another board, a poster says this about Borgese as an occupation:
In Sicily specifically, a tenant farmer, a smallholder, a middle peasant,
spelled also burgisi. That is from several different sources.
The poster may or may not be correct...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Johnnie the term RENTER to my mind means TENANT FARMER. The term renter as I suspect you are thinking about is the italian word IN AFFITO (rented) or the verb AFFITARE ( to rent). =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

According to Merriam-Webster, Renter=one that rents; specifically : the lessee or tenant of property.

"Borghese" (or borgese or burgisi) is similar to "Possidente" or "Proprietario" and indicates a person that do not need to work in order to make money...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I suppose then that Ancestry.com is in error? =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

A person whose occupation is Renter=One that rents does not need to work in order to make money, and therefore may be defined as a Borghese or burgisi.

Peter, could you please give me a more precise link for the Ancestry page that provide translation for genealogy words?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liviomoreno wrote:A person whose occupation is Renter=One that rents does not need to work in order to make money
So, in English, a landlord as opposed to a tenant?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
liviomoreno wrote:A person whose occupation is Renter=One that rents does not need to work in order to make money
So, in English, a landlord as opposed to a tenant?
Yeah, I would say a landlord...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

http://www.ancestry.com/learn/learningc ... tion=IT_EN

Is fror Italian Genealogy Terms (Italian to English) as requested Livio. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:www.<a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>/learn/learningcenters/defauylt.aspx?section=IT_EN

Is fror Italian Genealogy Terms (Italian to English) as requested Livio. =Peter=
Peter, thank you but this link does not work.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

liviomoreno wrote:
PeterTimber wrote:www.<a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank"><a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a></a>/learn/learningcenters/defauylt.aspx?section=IT_EN

Peter, thank you but this link does not work.
Hello Livio!
I'm curious also, but I've never been able to get links to ancestry. com to work either - they always go to the home page.
Hopefully Peter will read this and post the title for us.
Always looking for more reference material!
Valarie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

LIVIO & VJ If you give me an e-mail address I can send this website to you but as things stand I have a copy and I know how to get to it so please let me know how I can transmit to you guys http://www.ancestry.com/learn/learningc ... arch_EN_IT This does not seem to work either?????

=Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:LIVIO & VJ If you give me an e-mail address I can send this website to you but as things stand I have a copy andI know how to get to it so please let me know how I can transmit to you guys www. href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>/learn/learningcenters/default.aspx?section=research_EN_IT This does not seem to work either?????

=Peter=
Does not work... Use copy and paste my email is liviomoreno @ gmail.com