Alien Registration Cards 1940-1944-Massachusetts

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nytgal

Alien Registration Cards 1940-1944-Massachusetts

Post by nytgal »

I've had so many agencies tell me stories about these that I don't know who is right.

The Norfolk County Court in Dedham told me they "were shipped to the Mormans!" In checking the records of the LDS it appears the Norfolk County AR records are not there...perhaps not input yet?

I have two letters from the USCIS of "no record" for my grandfathers C file or A file.

The lack of my ability to locate my grandfather's Alien Registration card is the only block to my dual citizenship at this point.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Alien Registration Cards 1940-1944-Massachusetts

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Have you found a manifest which documents your grandfather's entry into the US? Many times there are handwritten notations on manifests (added months or years after the sailing) which indicate registration numbers.

If you don't mind, what was your grandfather's name, birth date or year, and when did he arrive in the US?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
nytgal

Post by nytgal »

My grandfather was Antonio Pasquantonio, born 1 May 1874, (some papers have his birthdate as 12 May 1874. He arrived in NY on 5 May 1901.

Thanks for your interest.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

He arrived May 6, 1901 at NYC at age 27 freom OFENA, Italy destined to his brother in Boston. You may also find his entgry at www.ellisisland,org. The ship was the SS Werra. =Peter=
~Peter~
nytgal

Post by nytgal »

Thank you, Peter. You and I "spoke" a few years ago when I was in search of my grandmother's (Valentina Moscone) brother (Giovanni Moscone). You gave me some information I did not have. I ended up finding him by making some phone calls to distant relatives in the US and then found his granddaughter on Facebook last July. We have been "friends" since. I thought you might enjoy the news of my discovery.

I have an extensive genealogy on Ancestry.com with all the census, ship manifests, etc. Also I have the complete birth and marriage records from the village of Ofena compliments of a dedicated genealogist who shared the files with me. I belong to Footnote.com, I've searched National Archives, USCIS (with 2 "no record" letters), state courts & archives with "no record" letters and have been to an LDS center to see microfiche. My grandfather's Alien Registration card cannot be found. I truly think he avoided registering due to illness in the early 40's and then he died.

If anyone knows another source I can go to for Alien Registration cards I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Is this your Antonio?

If so, there is a World War I draft registration card for him shown there. I cannot believe he managed to get into the army without being a registred alien???
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Also, the manifest says he arrived at the Port of New York and - at that time - his final destination was "NYC".

Why are you focusing your search for Alien Registration in Massachusetts? (or, did I misunderstand?)
Carmine

nytgal

Post by nytgal »

Yes, that is him. All agencies I've contacted today point to the Alien Registrations being at the USCIS which I have gone to twice with 2 "no record" letters and now the consulate has asked me to go and ask them again! As you know, the wait each time is 3-4 months if I'm lucky.

Any suggestions from anyone on any other source to secure the AR card would be appreciated.

Thanks so much, johnnyonthespot
nytgal

Post by nytgal »

He lived in NYC for a very short time and then came north to Franklin, MA where he remained until he died. The first census, 1910 shows him as an AL. In subsequent census' he is listed as PA. He did file his Dec of Intent in 1921 but there is no record of naturalization or alien registration post filing.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Okay, I confess that never having had to worry about finding an ARC, I am not "up" on the subject.

Having said that, this article leads me to wonder if you are searching for something which simply does not exist. One possibility being that he registered in the pre-WWI era and the documents have since been destroyed.

I do not know if, had he registered in the WWI era, he would have been required to re-register under the new law passed in the run-up to WWII. Perhaps not, or perhaps he didn't think he had to since he "already registered more than 20 years ago".
Carmine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Johnnie we are now entering the world of mists of time full of speculation and might have beens. Time to close the chapter. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I cannot help but notice on ancestry . com another Antonio Pasquantonio, from Ofena, born in 1878/1879 who made several crossings (1903, 1905, 1909, 1920) into both New York and Boston.

Is it even remotely possible that you are looking at the wrong Antonio? Or, at the least, that you have his birthdate wrong by five years?
Carmine

nytgal

Post by nytgal »

Thanks, Johnny. I am positive I have the correct Antonio Pasquantonio and I wish I had a $1.00 for every Antonio Pasquantonio born in Ofena!

I think my best approach is to wait for my third "no record" letter from USCIS. This time I've asked them to specifically address the A file. I will have to build my case around circumstantial evidence and hope that is enough.

I'll post the results in hope it helps others.

Thanks again for your support and guidance.