Question about scheduling consulate appt..

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Question about scheduling consulate appt..

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im going to go ahead and schedule my appt. Is it as simple as calling and making an appointment or do I need to speak to someone in a particular department? Also, do they ask alot of questions when scheduling...do I need to have my paperwork with me when I call? Sorry for the dumb questions...just wondering

Alicia
mler
Master
Master

Re: Question about scheduling consulate appt..

Post by mler »

I believe that the consulates are now using a scheduling service. (I'm not certain about Newark, but I know they do in New York.) They don't ask any questions; they simply schedule a date and time. Let them know how many people will be applying. Call the number listed on the consulate web page.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well I have to apply to Philly and what Ive heard its a LONG wait.

By the way, its just me applying but Im married with 4 kids. Would I count them also when telling them how many people are applying?

Alicia
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

For whats its worth, I applied in Chicago for an appointment on January 20th of this year. I first sent an email requesting an appointment. When that did not seem to get a response, I filled out the appointment request form online and faxed it in to the consulate. Within a week, I received a response and got my appointment scheduled this year for October 5, 2010.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It's a long wait at most of the consulates. That's why it is wise to set up an appointment as soon as possible. During the wait time, you can gather your documents.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Alicia, you must apply at the consulate which covers your legal place of residence. According to the Philadelphia consulate's website,
The Consulate General of Italy in Philadelphia provides services to residents in the following States: Pennsylvania, Delaware, North Carolina, West Virginia, New Jersey (only the following counties: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean and Salem. The remaining counties are under the jurisdiciton of the Consulate General in New York for visas and for all other matters under the jurisdiction of the Consulate in Newarki), ** Maryland (except for the counties of Montgomery and Prince George which fall under the jurisdiction of the consular section of the Italian Embassy in Washington, DC) and Virginia (except for the counties of Arlington and Fairfax which are also under the consular section of the Italian Embassy in Washington, DC).
So, depending on where you are located in New Jersey, you must apply either at Philadelphia or at Newark. Nearly as I can tell, appointments for Philadelphia are made by calling or emailing, 215-279-9564 cittadinanza.filadelfia@esteri.it

For Newark, their site says, "to set an appointment please call 973 643 1448 ext. 238, or contact consolato.newark@esteri.it"

PS: They ask how many people are applying so that they can set up an appropriate length of time for the appointment. Your husband cannot apply with you (attend, if he wants, but not apply); he will have to wait until your citizenship has been recognized and then apply jure matrimoni, an entirely different process.

For your children, who are all minors, all you need is the additional certified/translated/apostilled birth certificates.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Carmine,

Im in ocean county so I have to go to Philly. So, I just say that one person is applying since the kids are under me?

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There is certainly no harm in saying that you are applying and also including your two (three?) minor children.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

4 Children :)

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Don't worry you have a year or more of wait time ahead of you to get everything you might need. Call immediately to get a spot is my advice.
Let us know how far out it is, my bet/guess is sometime in March of 2011.