ship manifest question!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jamurp01

ship manifest question!

Post by jamurp01 »

I have an Ellis Island ship manifest in my hand that I am trying to translate..

The ship is the Patria, arriving in the Port of New York on May 8th, 1914 from Palermo.

Everyone on this page is Sicilian, and I cannot understand the immigration officer's script!

Everyone's complexion is chestnut; either dark chestnut or ____ chestnut. The blank space is a three or four letter word that begins with R and ends with either "y" or "g." So far the only words I have come up with are either "rosy" or "reg" but I really don't believe that it is either one of those!

- Has anyone translated a manifest like this in the past and can help me identify this word? Or can you guess what it is? (I'm sorry, this sounds like a game, but I'm rushing to head to the local Tribunale tomorrow!)

Also, would you use the word castano to describe this complexion color, or stick to something simpler- i.e. scuro?

If you would like to view it, instead of navigating to see the document in the microfilm, I'm attaching a photocopy below!

Thank you all to your help ahead of time!
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: ship manifest question!

Post by eyetalgal »

complexion = rosy or dark
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: ship manifest question!

Post by PeterTimber »

Chestnut is used in Italy to describe a shade of Brown =CASTAGNA is the translated word for chestnut. The other word could be a further refinement of the color. =Peter=
~Peter~