Letter of Exemplification

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Letter of Exemplification

Post by Drew927 »

I obtained a copy of my Grandfathers death certificate from the NYC archives. At the time, the clerk who made the certified copy did not ask if I needed such a letter. Will I need a letter of Exemplification for this document?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Letter of Exemplification

Post by mler »

Most definitely. If you asked for a long form suitable for apostille, the exemplification should have been attached.

I had a similar problem with my own amended birth certificate. When I went into the city for apostilles, I stopped at the Vital Records, and told them that the exemplifcation was omitted. They added the exemplification to my document on the spot--about a ten minute wait--so I was able to walk my documents through the apostille process (City Clerk and Apostille).
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

What is an exemplification letter?

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

New York State will not apostille a document issued by New York City unless it has an attached Letter of Exemplification.

This Wikipedia article does a decent job of explaining: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exemplified_copy
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

All my documents will be from Jersey. But I have get my great grandmothers birth certificate from the Bronx. Does that get an apostille in NY or can I do it NJ with the rest of my documents? Would I still need that letter if I get the seal in NJ?

Alicia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You will need to get his bc apostilled in NY, and since his birth was in NYC, the letter of examplification is necessary.

When you request the certificate, ask for "long-form suitable for apostille Italy." Then you need a notarization from the Bronx County Clerk. Once this is done, you can obtain the apostille. Addresses should be listed online.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Is it best to request a certificate right from vital records in NYC or can I use one of the services like VitalChek online that do expedited services? I know they are linked up with NJ but I dont know about NY. This is the only relative I need document for from NYC so Im not familiar with the process or where to even request it

Alicia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »