SOCIAL SECURITY/IS THERE A STANDARD LETTER

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dassisi
Rookie
Rookie

SOCIAL SECURITY/IS THERE A STANDARD LETTER

Post by dassisi »

Does any one know if there is a standard letter that I can write for information regarding a social security number that I have found regarding a relation of mine, I know I have seen one somewhere but do not remember where (place of death was Burbank California) your help would be much appreciated.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: SOCIAL SECURITY/IS THERE A STANDARD LETTER

Post by VaDeb »

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

Go to the url shown. This should answer any questions.

http://www.ssa.gov/glossary.htm
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

dassisi wrote:Does any one know if there is a standard letter that I can write for information regarding a social security number that I have found regarding a relation of mine, I know I have seen one somewhere but do not remember where (place of death was Burbank California) your help would be much appreciated.
Hi,

In order to write to Social Security, you should have the name of the person you are looking for, their birth date, their death date, and their Social Security Number. You should try to find the Death Date first by writing for the Death Certificate at the Vital Records Dept in Burbank, CA.

Remember, Social Security didn't start till 1965 so any one who died prior to 1965 won't have a Social Security Number.

Also, here is the form you should use for Social Security.

Trish
www.geocities.com/wheretheacornfell

Date

Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings Operations
FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Greene Street
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, Maryland 21290

Re: Freedom of Information Act Request

Dear Freedom of Information Officer,

I am writing this request under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. Section 552. I hereby request a copy of the SS-5, Application for Social Security Card for the following individual:

John Doe
123-45-6789
Birth: January 1, 1900
Death: December 31, 2000

This individual is deceased, having been listed in the Social Security Administration's Death Master File. I understand the fee for this service is $27.00 for copy of original SS-5 application when the Social Security Number is provided. I am requesting a SS-5 copy. Included is a check for $27.00 made out to the Social Security Administration to cover any administrative costs required by this request.

Please respond to my request upon receipt of this initial correspondence. Thank you for your attention and assistance.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
City, State, Zip Code
Telephone Number
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Social security Records are available from 1963 onwards and a letter can be printed off the column alongside the name of the deceased under the SS-5 column in the Social security Death Index. Peter