Church and Marriage Research

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Church and Marriage Research

Post by Castrogovianni »

Dear Genealogy Friends;

I am kindly requesting assistance in how to research for more information on the marriage of my Great Grandparents Francesco and Giovanna from Militello, Catania, Sicily.

I obtained an official certified marriage certificate from Militello for Francesco and Giovanna. They married on June, 16 1907 in Militello in Val di Catania

How do I find out information on what church they were married in, and the Church’s location?

Are there documents that I can request from the Church? If so how do I go about this process?

Here is some information on my Great Grandparents:

My Great Grandfather’s name is:

Francesco Castrogiovanni born in Militello on January 8, 1882.

My Great Grandmother’s name is:

Giovanna Lardizzone born in Militello on April 6, 1881.

They had a son:

Angelo Castrogiovanni born in Militello on June 14, 1910.

Thank You

Additional Family Information…

Francesco’s Father is Caterino Castrogiovanni born in Militello about 1847. I could use more information on Caterino.

Francesco’s Mother is Maria Vicceri born in Militello about 1847. I could use more information on Maria.

Also,

Francesco Castrogiovanni had a brother named Salvatore Castrogiovanni born in Militello on December 19, 1873. He married Vincenza D’Amico in Militello.

Any additional information that you could provide is very much appreciated. I would love to know more about Caterino Castrogiovanni and his wife Maria Vicceri.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Church and Marriage Research

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 7 churches in Militello with 3 that have telephone numbers indicating a resident priest. The Mormonchurch used to (before the dollar took a nosedive) suggest $15.00 per record if the parish priest was willing to do so and/or hire someone to check for the inquirer at additional expense.

Go to www.parrocchie.it and look up the churches and either write or call them. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Castrogovianni wrote:I obtained an official certified marriage certificate from Militello for Francesco and Giovanna. They married on June, 16 1907 in Militello in Val di Catania
What is the title on this document?

Italian certifactes come in various formats; the "Estratto" having the least amount of information, and the "Copia integale" having the most (being that it is a photocopy of the original registry entry).

For marriages, there are also the "Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio" which contain additional information of value.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Italian certifactes come in various formats; the "Estratto" having the least amount of information, and the "Copia integale" having the most (being that it is a photocopy of the original registry entry).
There are 3 different documents: Certificato, Estratto per riassunto and Estratto per copia integrale. They apply to birth, death and marriage.

Let me make an example: Mario Rossi was born on Jan 23, 1863 to Antonio and Maria Verdi. In 1885 Mario changes sex and becomes Rosa, this is annotated on the birth register. Another annotation is made to say that on Aug 22, 1901 Rosa married Giuseppe Bianchi and a third annotation is made to say that Rosa died on Apr 2, 1940.

The Certificato di nascita will state: "Rosa Rossi was born Jan 23, 1883 to Antonio and Maria Verdi"

The Estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita is a copy of the birth act as it appears in the register, including all the annotations and takes into account the corrections. Basically from this document you will learn that
"Rosa Rossi was born Jan 23, 1883 to Antonio and Maria Verdi, she married Giuseppe Bianchi on Aug 22, 1901 and she died on Apr 2, 1940

The Estratto per copia integrale dell'atto di nascita is a copy word by word of the birth act including all the annotations.
Some times, to save time, they give you a photocopy. From this document you will know that Rosa was a male named Mario when she was born...
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Castrogovianni »

The Marriage Certificate that i have does not have a main title on it. If you would reply to my email at:

michael.castrogovianni@setoyota.com

I would be happy to email you the .pdf file to show you the original document. The document has 12 boxes of information

1. ETAT
2. service de l'etat civile de...

Box 3 may be a title...
3. extrait de l'acte mariage N (degrees circle symbol) 25-I (1907)

5. - 12. is gebneral information.

Please let me know if any this helps
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

From what you say your document is written in French. If you don't want to post it send it to me to see...
liviomoreno @ gmail.com
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Castrogovianni »

Thanks; i emailed the document to your gmail address. Michael
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Castrogovianni »

Hi PeterTimber;
Thanks for your feedback; i found the 7 churches address on your site mentioned. i will write to the churches; do you have a suggested form letter to use, or any suggestions on language to get my request understood? thanks
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Castrogovianni wrote:The Marriage Certificate that i have does not have a main title on it. If you would reply to my email at:

michael.castrogovianni@setoyota.com

I would be happy to email you the .pdf file to show you the original document. The document has 12 boxes of information

1. ETAT
2. service de l'etat civile de...

Box 3 may be a title...
3. extrait de l'acte mariage N (degrees circle symbol) 25-I (1907)

5. - 12. is gebneral information.

Please let me know if any this helps
I have received your document, it is an Estratto per riassunto degli atti di matrimonio,

The main title is in Box #3: "Extracted from the Marriage Act Nr 25-I (1907)"

The boxes are:
1 - Country: Italy
2 - Civil State Dpt of Militello di Val di Catania
3 - Extracted from the Marriage Act Nr 25-I (1907)
4 - Date and place of Marriage: 16 June 1907 Militello in Val di Catania
5 - Groom
6 - Bride
7 - Surnames before the marriage: Castrogiovanni / Lardizzone
8 - Names: Francesco / Giovanna
9 - Date and place of birth: 8 Jan 1882 Militello... / 6 Apr 1881 Militello
10 - Surnames after the marriage:
11 - Other Annotations in the act: None
12 - Date issued, signature, seal: 7 Sept 2008
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Castrogovianni »

Thank you Livio; i guess my next step is to write to the churches in Militello. Do you have a suggested form letter to use, or any suggestions on language to get my request for detail marriage documents understood? thanks
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

A sample letter, in Italian, may be found here: http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Castrogovianni »

Thank you my friend