immigration papers of ellis island

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
italianchulo12

immigration papers of ellis island

Post by italianchulo12 »

During my research of the Felicciardi (antonio, who is traveling with mother anna lacorte) name in ellis island papers, i noticed changes in the name to Frallicciardi .the same has been done for the name rosa , and then where it says profession in ros'a line, it appears to have a date of 1941 on there.does this mean that this change was made in 1941 perhaps? also who is the people responsible for making these changes?what information provided would have initiated these changes ? the date of arrival was aug 27th 1913 for the above in question. my last name is felicciardi, however nobody through ellis island has this name, although i found my great grandfather luigi's papers from ellis island which spelled his name wrong.i am trying to make a connection between his name of felicciardi and frallicciardi as perhaps relatives.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: immigration papers of ellis island

Post by suanj »

italianchulo12 wrote:During my research of the Felicciardi (antonio, who is traveling with mother anna lacorte) name in ellis island papers, i noticed changes in the name to Frallicciardi .the same has been done for the name rosa , and then where it says profession in ros'a line, it appears to have a date of 1941 on there.does this mean that this change was made in 1941 perhaps? also who is the people responsible for making these changes?what information provided would have initiated these changes ? the date of arrival was aug 27th 1913 for the above in question. my last name is felicciardi, however nobody through ellis island has this name, although i found my great grandfather luigi's papers from ellis island which spelled his name wrong.i am trying to make a connection between his name of felicciardi and frallicciardi as perhaps relatives.
In Italy Felicciardi surname not exist; in Olevano sul Tusciano (Salerno province ) exist Frallicciardi surname http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... no&x=0&y=0
... the Felicciardi surname are mistaken sure on ellis island, as many others italian surnames... for to change or correction surname are necessary, in Italy, to request to judge, in USA I know not... normally this request it is made from interested person to change..... and are necessary many original certificates of birth Common...
regards, suanj
italianchulo12

Post by italianchulo12 »

i would need proof somehow or to find the link , my great grandfathers name on immigration papers says feliciardi, however my name is now felicciardi.it is interesting that there are no other names even remotely close to mine except for this name of frallicciardi.perhaps the direction i need to go is to find my great grandfathers records in italy? it is also wierd how my greatgrandfather luigi felicciardi is from salerno(i believe cuccaro vetere ), and also this name of frallicciardi is also from salerno as well.Do you know anyone who could find a record in italy proving that my greatgrandfathers name is really frallicciardi? perhaps his birth recoord or something?
italianchulo12

Post by italianchulo12 »

i would need proof somehow or to find the link , my great grandfathers name on immigration papers says feliciardi, however my name is now felicciardi.it is interesting that there are no other names even remotely close to mine except for this name of frallicciardi.perhaps the direction i need to go is to find my great grandfathers records in italy? it is also wierd how my greatgrandfather luigi felicciardi is from salerno(i believe cuccaro vetere ), and also this name of frallicciardi is also from salerno as well.Do you know anyone who could find a record in italy proving that my greatgrandfathers name is really frallicciardi? perhaps his birth recoord or something? ALSO, part of my original question is who are the people responsible for making changes in immigration papers? i believe someone made a change in the papers from felicciardi (antonio, rosa,carmine) to Frallicciardi which appears to be in 1941 (the change being made) if someone can look up antonio felicciardi on ellis island, they can see a date of jan 1941 under the colum listing their job.do you think this is a date when the correction was made? and if so , how do corrections like this happen? is it an american citizen who must have supplied ellis island with documents in attempt to correct ellis island mistakes?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

I looked at the passenger manifest you mentioned in your post. These manifests were filled out by the shipping lines, prior to arrival at Ellis Island. The officials at Ellis Island used them when evaluating and admitting the immigrants to the United States. I saw the date you mentioned. To the left of the date is a number. (Sorry, I forgot to copy it down but it began 2- ) This number was put there in 1941. It refers to the Declartion of Intent, or first papers filed. You can find this document. Do you know if your ancestor was naturalized?

But, Ellis Island did not change immigrants names. This usually happened as they entered the social structure of America. Remember, the date has nothing to do with the name change, but was the date officials checked the manifest to verify the immigrants arrival information provided on the Declaration of Intent, or Naturalization.

P.S. Please remember that some of the best help on this site comes people for whom English is not their native language. Please try to use punctuation and capital letters to ease their intrepretation of your requests.

Debbie
italianchulo12

Post by italianchulo12 »

Thank you for the insight on the date of 1941. I do have naturalization papers for my great grandfather Luigi Felicciardi, however do not have naturalization papers for these people who are listed as Felicciardi (but were corrected to Frallicciardi)in those papers from Ellis Island.Maybe i should request naturalization papers for those Frallicciardi's to see what information turns up.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi:
about " Do you know anyone who could find a record in italy proving that my greatgrandfathers name is really frallicciardi? you can ask an birth certificate in Olevano sul Tusciano common (Antonio/Rosa and Carmine born in Olevano)to ufficioanagrafe@olevano.it http://www.olevano.it/english/indexuk.htm , for:
" Felicciardi/Frallicciardi Antonio born in Olevano sul Tusciano the .... (birthdate), son of Carlo and La Corte Anna.

In this certificate you read directly the just italian surname.
suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

perhaps......

Post by suanj »

this are the record about Carlo:
Carlo Fralicciardi age 30 in 1909, from Olevano, wife Anna in Olevano, joining from friend Raffaele Guglielmo in Chester NY
ship: SS Batavia
port of departure: Naples
date of departure March 24 1909
date of arrival Apr 12 1909
from direct reading are wrote Fralicciardi Carlo

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 9246050127&
many regards, suanj
italianchulo12

Post by italianchulo12 »

Thank You so much for this help!, Vito
italianchulo12

Post by italianchulo12 »

suanj wrote:Hi:
about " Do you know anyone who could find a record in italy proving that my greatgrandfathers name is really frallicciardi? you can ask an birth certificate in Olevano sul Tusciano common (Antonio/Rosa and Carmine born in Olevano)to ufficioanagrafe@olevano.it http://www.olevano.it/english/indexuk.htm , for:
" Felicciardi/Frallicciardi Antonio born in Olevano sul Tusciano the .... (birthdate), son of Carlo and La Corte Anna.

suanj
I just tried this web site, and cant seem to get anywhere to make an inquiry???..italianchulo
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

italianchulo12 wrote:
suanj wrote:Hi:

suanj
I just tried this web site, and cant seem to get anywhere to make an inquiry???..italianchulo
Hi Vito, as I have wrote in my reply, you send an inquiry to mailto: ufficioanagrafe@olevano.it regards, suanj
italianchulo12

Post by italianchulo12 »

Hi, i have written emails, and mailed letters to every single one just today.This was very helpfull.Thanks once again...