Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LuSiculu
Rookie
Rookie

Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research

Post by LuSiculu »

I am trying to search for my Great Grandfather, Marino La Porta, born Oct 23 1882, who might have been born in Cumia of the province of Messina. I know that when he left for the United States his last residence was with his wife Rosaria Ciraolo in Larderia, Messina. I just can't find any type of municipal contact for Cumia.. anyone have any suggestions?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research

Post by PeterTimber »

Cumia is on the outskirts of Messina..."sull strade diMessina" (on the road to Messina) and is under the jurisdictionof the City of Messina. The website for for Messina is www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/38-messina

Go to www,angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italian-form-letters.html and send the form letter for the document or docuemnts you wish and mail ( one letter for each document) to UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE
MUNICIPIO
Piazza Unione Europea
98122 Messina (ME) Sicilia Italy

There is usually no charge for documents. If you wish to know about doing Italian genealogy and familiarizing yourself as to what to seek then go to
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html
We are here to assist you at every turn. Have fun, =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

...You might wish to see CUMIA onthe map so that you get a good idea of where it is located in conjuction with the city of MESSINA.'Go to http://It.mappy.com and inthe first line put in CUMIA and nothing else and then click the blue bar to the lower right and the map showing CUMIA will be available to you beneath this. =Peter=
~Peter~
LuSiculu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LuSiculu »

OK, Thank you very much!!
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

I have no useful info to add other than Ive visited Cumia Superiore (there is a Cumia Inferiore) quite a few times. My mothers family come from there. Its a great little hill top town. Its unfortunately crumbling in many locations and is not loved by those from Messina. Buses are very irregular and so is not considered a convenient place to live for those working in Messina. But the views of Messina and the strait are beautiful. Its a pedestrian town with little alleys millions of stairs, a bit like a maze. Great place to visit. People in Cumia used to have their own plot on the other side of the hill. Many used to grow flowers to take to market. My grandfather grew vegies, fava beans etc for the family. Cumia is just gorgeous but the locals dont seem to appreciate it at all. I have many photos.
Lili
LuSiculu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LuSiculu »

Thank you very much Lili.. Is your mother's family from Cumia Inferiore? Or Cumia Superiore?
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Cumia Superiore.
pscinta1

Post by pscinta1 »

My family is from Cumia Inferiore. The name is Morabito. My cousin was there a couple of years ago and found members of our family. He found my mother's cousin who is now 89yr. My grandmother's maiden name was Morabito and she married a Morabito. No relation. Apprently the majority of the residents are named Morabito or Iderdonato. In fact, when my cousin moved to Denver he purchased a home across the street from another Morabito! We are now gathering documents of our familys' history. I'm sorry we didn't do this sooner when our parents were still living. Any other Morabitos out there?
LuSiculu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LuSiculu »

Hello pscinta... Part of my family came from Cumia Inferiore and the maiden name of my great great grandmother was Morabito...Cumia Inferiore is very small..maybe there's some relation!
pscinta1

Post by pscinta1 »

My grandparents came to America in 1906. They were born about 1875.
My cousin stopped a man on the road into Cumia and asked about the Morabitos. The man replied he was a Morabito, but not the one he was looking for. He then directed him to the correct family. There are so many! Where did your family settle in the US?
LuSiculu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LuSiculu »

My great grandfather came here in 1913.. he settled in Hoboken and some of his brothers settled in New York City... My great grandfathers name was Marino La Porta.. born in Cumia Inferiore..I actually just contacted Messina a few months ago to get his birth record...His father was Raffaele La Porta and his mother was Paola Morabito. I would love to get information on them too, but I don't have any dates for them!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can approximate the years( I believe they may consider tenyears as a search range for documents. So if you can approximate within this range you might be able to get to the information ypu are seeking. Figuring marriage after army service at 20 and first born child soon after and use first birth year of birth as pivotal. =Peter=
~Peter~
pscinta1

Post by pscinta1 »

The gentleman I wrote about before, who's 87, would have been my mother's 1st cousin. He has a daughter named Paola! She works in the clerks office in Messina and has been very helpful in obtaining records for us. My cousin is in contact with her constantly exhanging info. I'll ask him tomorrow to find out if any of your names are part of the family.

I'll let you know. Our family settled in Buffalo NY along with other Morabito family members. Both my grandparents had 4 brothers, so you can imagine all the Morabitos. Also, when others came to America, they stayed with Grandma and Grandpa until they got on their feet. And a lot of them had the same 1st name, so it's confusing when I check documents here in Buffalo. We had a reunion awhile ago and there so many. I couldn't keep anyone straight. Compounded by the fact that Grandma's maiden name was the same! As soon as I have any info, I'll let you know.
LuSiculu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LuSiculu »

Wow, any help would be greatly appreciated. I had to try several times to get someone to respond to my e-mail in Messina. Once they did though the man was very helpful and I didn't even have to send any payment. That would be insane if our family was somehow related.. we would be quite distant cousins haha.

Hi Peter, hey thanks for the help! I didn't know they could do a ten year search, that information helps alot because I know that they were married in the 1870's!! Thanks!
pscinta1

Post by pscinta1 »

I'm sorry I took so long. I just sent the email to Cumia. I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.

Pat