Am I misreading this record?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Am I misreading this record?

Post by jt27 »

From what I was able to decipher, the attached immigration record for my great, great grandfather Andrea Sorbo, states that he was going to stay with his brother-in-law, named Cavellone?, living at 99 Spruce? St in Providence, Rhode Island.

I searched the city directory for 1902 and found several families living at that address: Bufalo, Pettine, Capone (related to Bufalo), and Cesaretti. I checked into the maiden names of the women, and none were "Sorbo". I know that the brother-in-law was not Andrew's wife's brother, as his name would have been "De Quattro".

Could someone else look at this record and see if I misread the relative's name or the street name? I thought it said "Sprunce St" at first, but no such street existed, so I thought it must be "Spruce" which had alot of Italian residents at the time.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... recoff=1+2

Thanks for your help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Am I misreading this record?

Post by Tessa78 »

The link does not bring up an immigration record. Maybe you could upload it to an image sharing site like photobucket.com and then post it here.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

I think you have to click the "search" portion of that link for it to work. I had the same problem before when I was checking it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, that worked, but be aware that only those who have an ancestry account will be able to view links like this. If you wish more people at the forum to assist, you will need to upload to an image share and post.

As for the manifest...
The brother in law is Carlo Cavellone (the first name is abbreviated on the manifest), and his address is listed as 99 Spruce St., Providence...as you said.

Could 99 Spruce St. have been a rooming house? or the shipping agent office?

T.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

good point about the link -- thanks for the advice Tessa!

How on earth did you know that "C_lo" was an abbreviated first name?! I never would have figured that out...thank you! On to search for Carlo Cavellone!
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

Well, I found a Carlo Cavellone and his wife, Concetta, who both arrived in 1902. They too ended up in LA like my great great grandparents. The only problem is that Concetta's maiden name was DeFusco. I wonder if "brother-in-law" could mean that Carlo was previously married to a Sorbo?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi jt,

Thought this excerpt might shed some light on the name abbreviation. (from Discovering Your Italian Ancestors, copyright 1997)

Understanding Abbreviations
The clerks creating the Stato Civile spent a lot of time writing. They often had to squeeze quite a bit of information into a small amount of space, especially in the indices and margins. Consequently, they used
abbreviations frequently. To the inexperienced researcher these may seem undecipherable. Even worse, they could cause incorrect translations. Below are some of the more common abbreviations that you will
find while researching Italian vital records.
First Names
First names were frequently abbreviated, particularly in the indices. Generally, the first syllable was written
normally with the last syllable following it in superscript, as shown in these examples.
Anto = Antonio
Arca = Arcangela
Domco = Domenico
Emle = Emanuelle
FranCO = Francesco
Giuse = Giuseppe
Ma = Maria
Vinza = Vincenza
VittO = Vittorio

NOTE: When I copied and pasted the above, the name endings didn't copy in superscript...
T.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

Thank you for that info Tessa!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

[deleted]
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

[deleted]
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)