besignano (Bisignano)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ollyolly

besignano (Bisignano)

Post by ollyolly »

Hi I am trying to obtain my italian dual citizenship by going back to my great grandfather who came over to new york from calabria, I need information on where he was born, his wifes name and where she was born and so on... anyone have any ideas on where to start or any info? The surname was Bisignano but they changed it to BE when he came over, thanx...
vj
Master
Master

Re: besignano (Bisignano)

Post by vj »

Hello!
Usually folks start with their US records: census, military, ship manifests, etc.
There is generally information found on these records that make it easier to conduct research in Italy.
In Italy records are kept at the comune (town) level, so identifying the town of origin is critical.
If you would like to post your family information: name, spouse, children, siblings, birth dates, locations, etc, we would be happy to help you look for your US records.
Thank you, Valarie
ollyolly

Post by ollyolly »

Hi Valerie sorry it has taken me ages to get back to you, I have two names here from and one of them is my great grandfather, does this help in any way to locate any info
First Name: Domenico
Last Name: Bisignano
Ethnicity: Italian South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Acri
Date of Arrival: Dec 31, 1902
Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Liguria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0002

First Name: Domenica
Last Name: Bisignano
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Suzzi, Cosenza
Date of Arrival: Aug 09, 1905
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Prinz Oskar
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0002
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

What year was your GGF born? That will help us to narrow which of these two manifests is for your GGF. OR...in what year was his death? That can help as well. You say that he lived in New York...do you mean New York City?

T.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

if he came from the province of cosenza, calabria you can search for his birth certificate online at
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

you have to register but its free and you can also switch the language to English and if you find him you can order the birth/death/marriage certificates for no more then a couple of euros for them to make copies.. etc
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
ollyolly

Post by ollyolly »

He only came over on the boat to Ellis Island in New York, I'm not sure if he lived there for a bit but he migrated to canada after that, I guess he would have been born in 1874, or 1882 and the rechanged his last name to besignano somewhere in all of this
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1882.Volume number 183,
document number 29 page 11 section b
Domenico Bisignano, contadino enlisted on 19/06/1902
born on 20/04/1881 to ACRI
son/daughter of Francesco Bisignano and of Nunziata Algeri

could this be him?
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

and

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 about Domenico Bisignano
Name: Domenico Bisignano
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Date of Arrival: 9 Aug 1905
Vessel: Prince Oskar
Search Ship Database: View the 'Prince Oskar' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Roll: T-513

Did he live in Fort williams, ontario?
ollyolly

Post by ollyolly »

oh my god, yes he did live in ontario and passed away there as well, thx so much!
m.p.bisi

Post by m.p.bisi »

im a Bisignano< i think i no who your looking for
m.p.bisi

Post by m.p.bisi »

ollyolly wrote:oh my god, yes he did live in ontario and passed away there as well, thx so much!
are you in italy or usa