Birth Record from the post below

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
amybeth

Birth Record from the post below

Post by amybeth »

I want to say thank you so much for all the help below!

I am pretty sure that the parents of Maria are Gennaro Giorgi and Columba Colilli, because I already had their names from another son they had, but when I looked at this record it looks to me like after Gennaro's name is listed another name (under Gennaro's but above Columba's). It looks like maybe "fro Tidicaraute"?? maybe?? I wasn't sure, but I see an age and a profession listed for this person, so I'm assuming it is a person? And then in the paragraph with Columba Colilli's name at the bottom is lists - Gumarvira )?) Giorgi and I don't know if this is referring to her daughter or someone else?

Anyway, I thought it was a great idea that someone said about uploading the record to another site and posting the link here. So here is is (I hope this work!) -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/ ... t/amy1.jpg

I really really do appreciate it! This is my first time working with Italian records! I've ordered a translation book but it hasn't arrived yet, and the translation programs online are ok, but I just couldn't totally figure this out!! Thank you again for all the input and links! I truly do appreciate it!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record from the post below

Post by Tessa78 »

What you see as "fro Tidicaraute" looks like "esso dichiarante" (as reported)

The declarer is Gennaro Giorgi, age 60, shoemaker. Since the child's name is Maria Giovanna (sp?) Giorgi, we might assume he is the father. I don't see anything that would contradict that. The age and profession are listed as "suddetta" which pretty much means "that stated".

Mother is Colomba Colilli, 36, hairdresser.

Date of birth was 1 January 1862.

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The document states "lo stesso e nato da esso dichiarante" so that the informant and the father are the same person.
amybeth

Post by amybeth »

OH!!! Ok, I get it!!! Thank you so so so much! I never would have figured that out!! Thank you so much!
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

The mother's profession doesn't look hairdresser. Although not very clear, could be: weaver.

Ada
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The mother's profession does look like the word cucitrice, which would be a weaver or seamstress.,
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

amybeth wrote:...And then in the paragraph with Columba Colilli's name at the bottom is lists - Gumarvira )?) Giorgi and I don't know if this is referring to her daughter or someone else?....
If you refer to the right side of the document, it states that Maria Gennarina Giorgi was baptized the same day: January 1st, 1862
amybeth wrote:... the translation programs online are ok, ...
I strongly disagree, they are a mess...
amybeth

Post by amybeth »

Haha...well yes they are...I was just trying not to be negative. :)

And thank you for all your help!!