what does this number mean?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

what does this number mean?

Post by figlia »

I found this number on Naturalization Papers

1X 4611 it seems to refer to some kind of arrival number but some of the line is struck through and this number follows;

I hereby certify that certificate of arrival No. 1X 4611....

The words " I hereby certify that certificate of arrival" have been struck through.
Anyone know what his number means?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: what does this number mean?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I am reposting this entry which I posted on "another dead end," in case you didn't see it.

Numbers similar to “1X-151593? indicate that the arrival of the immigrant was verified prior to naturalization and typically indicates that the verification was made after 1926. The first number indicates the naturalization district, the “Xâ€
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

Thank you very much.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

This is a very helpful site too:

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/

Laura
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

Thank you for the link.

My question now is, how do I/ can I get a certificate of arrival for him.
My hope is that the name of his ship and actual date of arrival are.

Where do I begin to find this record?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Certificates of Arrival were a product of the Basic Naturalization Act of 1906, and begin to appear in court naturalization records ca. 1911. The 1906 law required that each applicant for naturalization be a legally admitted immigrant, and applied to all immigrants arriving after June 29, 1906. These began to apply for citizenship in 1911 (5 years later), and in response to the applications to the courts (Declarations or Petitions), the Immigration Service would issue a Certificate of Arrival, which simply certified information taken from the passenger manifest. The Certificates of Arrival were never given to the immigrant. They were issued and sent to the court, to satisfy the court that the applicant met the admission and residency requirements for naturalization. Certificates of Arrival were associated with Declarations and/or Petitions, but were not the same document. When an immigrant filed a Declaration (or, if they were exempt from the Declaration requirement, when they filed their Petition), one copy of that document went from the court to the US Immigration Service. The INS then checked the immigration records to verify the immigrant's claimed port/date/ship of arrival. When found, they would certify that information on a form called "Certificate of Arrival," and mail it back to the court. Today these forms are often found filed with the court records. Copies of the certificates were not kept by the INS, since they had the passenger list itself.

When I requested naturalization records from the southern district court of NY through The National Archives and Records Administration (northeast region on Varrick St in Manhattan), I was sent a copy of my ancestor's certificate of arrival as part of his naturalization records package from them. I believe in a previous post, Peter Timber already gave you an email address for the NARA. You should use that email address that he gave you to request the certificate of arrival for your ancestor. In 2003 it cost me $10 for the entire naturalization packet which also had the declaration of intention, petition for naturalization, and oath of allegiance.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Where did you obtain the naturalization papers?

If the certificate of arrival still exists, you should be able to get a copy by ordering the complete naturalization papers from USCIS. See http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

Another site which may or may not have the complete file is the National Archives, http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/

Is there any chance that you might post the Declaration of Intent so we can see it for ourselves?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

I got the papers through the NARA request and order reproductions. I only received 2 papers a declaration and a petition with the oath on the back of the petition.

I guess that is the whole file on him.
I must be doing something wrong in my search, because all I can find is the certificate of arrival for the Von Trapp Family.

My grandfather was naturalized in Boston.
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

Unfortunately I do not have a scanner. I have written to the Archives @ Boston. He told me if my grandfather was naturalized in a Boston Court, they have the records of the COA if it still exists. I am currently waiting.....

They are very nice folks working there, they were very helpful.