A few words in an 1882 birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lngrid

A few words in an 1882 birth record

Post by lngrid »

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the words enclosed by parentheses in the following image of a birth record. I'd appreciate any help.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: A few words in an 1882 birth record

Post by Tessa78 »

sua moglie legittima (his legitimate wife)
secolui convivente (his cohabitant)
egli mi presenta (he presents to me)
e a cui d'a i nomi should read e a cui dai nomi

T.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Tessa78 wrote:e a cui d'a i nomi should read e a cui dai nomi
The correct form is: "a cui [egli] dà i nomi..."
"Dà" is the third person of the verb "dare" ( http://www.itg-rondani.it/dida/italiano/verbi/27.htm ), and it has the accent on the "a" to avoid confusion with the "preposizione semplice" da (di, a ,da, in, con, su ecc. ).
L.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Oops! :-( I must have been reading this in my sleep.
Thanks, Lucap, for correcting this. :-)

T.
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

Thanks again, Tessa and Lucap. I'm so grateful for what you're teaching me. I've bookmarked the link on conjugating Italian verbs, Lucap. I wish I had time to go back to college. I learned French from my mother and grandmother but I loved being formally taught French grammer, conjugation and idioms in school.

But back to the task at hand. Am I getting a fairly good grasp of a birth record?

"In the year one thousand eight hundred eighty-two on the thirtieth of August at ten-forty am at the town hall before me, Marsico Enrico Sindaio, Civil Status Officer for the town of San Fili, appeared Pietro Perri, son of the deceased Pasquale, who is a 41 year-old farm worker living in Bucita, San Fili, declaring to me that at ten minutes after eight pm on the twenty-eighth day of the current month in the house at Number Seven Via Danise, to Concetta Lucchetta, his legitimate wife and cohabitant, a female infant was born who he presents to me and he gives the names MARIA LUCIA.

Present at the above as witnesses were Francesco Brune
..."

"... son of the deceased Pietro, age twenty-two, cowboy, and Antonio Perri, son of the deceased Gaetano, aged sixty-two, farm laborer, both residents of this comune.

This document was read to the participants and is signed below by me alone, the others being illiterate."
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Your translation is very accurate!
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

Thank you, Livio. I am flattered because I understand you, if not a native Italian, have lived there for 50 years.

If the translation is accurate it is because of people like Lucap, Italian-English dictionaries, online search engines and the fact that both my father and I used to have medium-high positions in government. I learned the way bureaucratic language is supposed to sound. *laugh*