Language - Names

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Language - Names

Post by acamma »

I have been quizzed for over 30 years as to the background of my last name by both other Italians and those conversant in other languages. Many Italians in my part of America don't consider my last name of "Camma" to really be Italian. I know were Cammas in Sicily and that my granfather, his parents, and siblings traveled here with the name and did not change it as a result of anti-Italian officials or for the ease of a new language. Others with expertise in other languages believe the name might have Greek roots (even though I have never seen a specific Greek name of similarity). I do know from the history I studied that ancient Greeks did occupy the island of Sicily well before there was a Roman Empire and much later a unifed Italy. Even though there is no way to document a family name to the Greek era, is there a background for the name in the Italian language or if someone knows the Greek language and culture also is there a basis for it in a Greek background. Thank you very much for your assistance.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Language - Names

Post by ptimber »

Camma is not listed as an Italian surname in the Italian surname dictionary. There are 3 towns in Italy with persons havi ng the Camma surname. One is in Sicily and the other two towns in the Piemonte region. Consequently it is either a local name or imported as it were. The immediate thought is that it may be of arabesh (albanian origin) or something else which your research will have to uncover. If you go to www.google.com and insert in the title Camma Genealogy you will find numerous references to the Camma surname genealogy which may be of help to you in your research since it involves people conducting research on the surname itself. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

acamma wrote:I have been quizzed for over 30 years as to the background of my last name by both other Italians and those conversant in other languages. Many Italians in my part of America don't consider my last name of "Camma" to really be Italian. I know were Cammas in Sicily and that my granfather, his parents, and siblings traveled here with the name and did not change it as a result of anti-Italian officials or for the ease of a new language. Others with expertise in other languages believe the name might have Greek roots (even though I have never seen a specific Greek name of similarity). I do know from the history I studied that ancient Greeks did occupy the island of Sicily well before there was a Roman Empire and much later a unifed Italy. Even though there is no way to document a family name to the Greek era, is there a background for the name in the Italian language or if someone knows the Greek language and culture also is there a basis for it in a Greek background. Thank you very much for your assistance.
Camma surname in Italy many probable is an mistaken version of original CAMA surname;
are two explanation of this surname:

1-coming from greek word cama… (chamai) greek word roots c£sma (chasma)= to open the ground, to open the land....

2- from spanish word cama= bed or alcove veil

suanj
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

Thank you very much for you replies on the name connection which has been of interest to me for years. I will do the research you suggested, along with my aunts. who luckily as 1st generation were taught Italian.
The greek definition might be a connection to the "Camma" company that trades in machinery for marble and granite work out of Rome. My aunts fainted when I told them of the company as they have been to Rome many times and never looked in a phone book to see the name. Thank you again for all your help. I'm sure as this research goes on I will have other questions.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

As a lead for further research on your surname Camma, I came across a listing for a townin Sicily in the mid 1550's called Camarana which may be worthy of further research. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

acamma wrote:Thank you very much for you replies on the name connection which has been of interest to me for years. I will do the research you suggested, along with my aunts. who luckily as 1st generation were taught Italian.
The greek definition might be a connection to the "Camma" company that trades in machinery for marble and granite work out of Rome. My aunts fainted when I told them of the company as they have been to Rome many times and never looked in a phone book to see the name. Thank you again for all your help. I'm sure as this research goes on I will have other questions.
The Camma company in Rome, I think are not connected why is of Spadone surname property and founded in 1975... This company called CAMMA why the camma word in Italy is a machinery..therefore it is reported to company products.. regards, suanj
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

Peter:

I know this one of your messages is from December but I was working on other specific genealogy issues and the city issue was one I intended to look at later, well I have and the map or document that you found that town on do you know where I could find it. I looked at some maps I could get access for through my local libraries and I can find no reference to it, if you have a source I'd appreciate it so I could look at it more closely. Since I'm in reality of student of govenment and have worked in the local government field for most of my career, it would be unique if my genealogy reseach could come down in part to doing some research on a city no matter how old it was.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I assume your talking about Camarana listing for 15th century Sicily. The source was just a recitation of the town of Sicikly without any reference to anything whatsoever. i did not take it beyond that. Please feel free to get back to me if you have any other inquitries concerning your research. Peter