info on grandparents and family still living in USA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lorella

info on grandparents and family still living in USA

Post by lorella »

My initial request was whether i would qualify for an US citizenship based on the fact that my maternal grandfather was born in the USA >>.... Have posted this somewhere else on this website.

Am still trying to find more info on my maternal grandfather but his name was Annibale Porro, born 1909 or 1910. My other info about his one sister is wrong. She was Enrica who also returned to italy when she was much older and she married Jimmy Rescombe who worked for the USA Consulate in italy. Hoping to find out more info later.

But, have also found out facts about my paternal grandmother. Her dad emigrated to the US with two sons, (who were my dad's uncles). The year was before 1925. The one son's name was Enrico Carnelli who later married and owned a stone quarry in Pennsylvania. He had 2 sons and 2 daughters. One son's name was Jimmy - one daughter's name was Mary. Mary was a professor of art (i assume) as she used to paint on ceramic plates. But Enrico was also joined by 4 cousins who stayed on in the US. One's name was Cesare Mazzucchelli who also had 4 children. Cesare owned a furniture factory. One daughter lived in South Carolina and one in North Carolina. One son lived in Chicago and one in Grand Rapids (???). They apparently owned a farm by Lake Michigan where they would spend most week-ends. By chance Mary (the ceramic painter) met an italian guy there and married him - they had a daughter by the name of Inona. She is probably about my age now (50).
Sorry to be so long winded but my dad is 85 and he has remembered all this!!
I assume i will have to find out more info on my maternal grandfather if i ever wish to apply for an american ccitizenship.

Please could anyone else maybe be able to help me? Much appreciated.
regards
Lorella Uboldi (maiden name)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: info on grandparents and family still living in USA

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Lorella,

You have provided many pieces of information here. Congrats to your father, he has a good memory!

What is it you are looking to find out? Are you looking for census records? Manifests? Would this be for your father's mother? (your paternal grandmother) that you seek information? We will do our best to help... What is your father's name, and where does he live?

What documents do you already have?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a manifest for Annibale Porro...

SS Rochambeau arriving NY, 28 April 1913

Annibale Porro, 3, from Gerenzano, traveling with
Mother: Elina Peni, 27, leaving father in Gerenzano, destination Freeland, PA to husband Mario Porro
Children:
Irine, 5 (f) (Could this be the ENRICA you mentioned?)
Giuseppina 2 (f)
Mario 5 months (m)

Manifest page 1 (lines 23 - 27)
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3239/p ... st1913.jpg

Manifest page 2
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9334/p ... t19132.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a manifest for a Luigi Carnelli going to cousin Pietro Uboldi.

SS Chicago, arriving NY, 24 June 1913
Luigi Carnelli (line 24) 33, married, leaving Giuseppe in Turate.
Heading to Beaver Falls, PA

page 1
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9610 ... fest19.jpg

page 2
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9610/c ... fest19.jpg

T.
lorella

Post by lorella »

Hi Tessa, thanks for taking time to research for me and your reply. Will check out those site later on today.

I have no documents of any sort from either of my parents.

My request intially was whether any of us would be eligible for a US citizenship based on the fact that my maternal grandfather (my mom's dad Annibale Porro) was born in the USA and then later on returned to Italy.

On my dad's side, his uncle (Enrico Carnelli-his mom's brother) is no direct blood relative of ours but out of curiosity was trying to find out if any of those descendants would be interested in starting up a friendship with myself and my family. (or maybe not :-( )

I was born in Italy and we emigrated to South Africa in 1969. I was 11 yrs old.
My mom's name is Maria Rosilde Porro (married uboldi) and my dad's name is Carlo Uboldi. My husband and both of our kids also have italian citizenship.

Hoping some family member reads this and maybe is interested in striking up a connection.

Keep well
Lorella Uboldi (married Swales)
lorella

Post by lorella »

Hi Tessa. Sorry but having looked at the manifests, it seems that Annibale Porro was actually 3 years old when he went to the US, so i think that it was only his sister Enrica who was born there ( that's why she is not on the list of immigrants). So that settles that. Unless he acquired citizenship thorugh his parents.

But i am still going to try and find long lost relations in the USA.
Thank you for your help.
Lorella