NY birth certificate

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
oilman19
Master
Master

NY birth certificate

Post by oilman19 »

Since there do not seem to be any indexed files online for birth records in Brooklyn, NY, I am trying to get a copy (does not have to be certified) thru the NY Dept. of Health. I want a copy of my 1st cousin's birth record. He was born in Brooklyn in 1927, is now deceased. His parents, wife, and 1st child are deceased. His daughter is estranged from the family and cannot be found.
I made an inquiry to the 311 info line in NY and was told I could apply by mail (plus $15) with a notarized letter, copy of official photo I.D., and copy of death certificate, for a certified copy.
The death certificate will have to come from Long Beach, CA before I proceed.
Does anyone know if there is a simpler process? I just wish to view the document to determine the correct parentage.
Any help on this?
Thanks,

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: NY birth certificate

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Most vital records require proof of lineage only for certified copies. If you dont want a certified copy you should be able to request a certificate for "informational" purposes or "genealogical" purposes. Im in NJ and I have done that and only needed to provide a copy of a license.Unless each state is different.

Alicia
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Alicia,
That is interesting. I was led to believe (from genealogists) that here in Ct, the only thing you can get is a certified copy. I don't know if that is accurate, however. And, it may be different in different states.

Thank you,

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

It could be different state to state. Just double check with vital records by you. For instance with a death certificate the certified copy will show cause of death but with "informational" documents they take that off. Maybe Connecticut is different. But I would definitely call or go over their website again because it will make things a lot easier for you. Ive gotten several non certified documents already with just a copy of a drivers license. Certified can be used for legal purposes or dual cit but just for basic info you should be able to get what some refer to as a "certificate" "informational" or "genealogical"

Alicia
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I'll try that. Thank you for your help.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Jim,

Death records are faily easy to obtain from NYC Vital Records...

Birth records are a very different story....

What you describe above in your post is the procedure that is in place for births that occured after 1910.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I was hoping for a process that was simpler than having to spend money in CA in order to spend money in NY. No short cuts here, I guess.
Thank you,

Jim
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Jim, did the person in question have a social security number?

If so, you can get a copy of his/her social security application on which was entered father's name and mother's maiden name. Not free, but it will cost a lot less than the procedure you are looking at now.

See https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp

You don't have to know the number in advance, but you get a small discount if you do.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: You should be able to find his/her SS number here: http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Carmine,
I can get the S.S.# from the s.s. death index. However the waters are muddy. He was born out of wedlock to my aunt who married 3 years later to another person. I assume he was adopted by the 2nd person. My cousin did not seem to know of these circumstances when I brought it up to him a while back. It seems everyone else in the family knew but him.
I am hoping to find out who his natural father is.

Jim
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Yes; mud, muck, and mire. Guess you will have to do it the hard way.

If the birth were in a small town, I would suggest calling the town clerk's office and asking, please, is there any way you can look at the record and just tell me the parent's names?

Might work in my hometown of ~22,000 up in Westchester County. Probably not in Brooklyn though.
Carmine

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Well, so much for my hopes of a shortcut. Since all of you wonderful genealogists on the forum usually have such a vast array of resources, I was hoping someone had cracked the vital statistics area of NYC. No such luck.
I'll have to decide how much $$$ this info is worth to me.

Thank you,

Jim
Jim

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I have received several birth records from New York, genealogical copies that is, with my i.d. Just print out the form online, pay your money, make sure you mark your form for "genealogical purposes" and send it off.

If you have to go the California way it will take months and months and everything has to be notorized. Even if you just want a genealogical copy. It is not cheap or easy from them. In fact, a real pain.

New Jersey was a different story. I had to prove lineage for my grandmother's record.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I like that. You may be on to something. I'll have to try it.
Thank you,

Jim
Jim

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

lilbees wrote:I have received several birth records from New York, genealogical copies that is, with my i.d. Just print out the form online, pay your money, make sure you mark your form for "genealogical purposes" and send it off.

If you have to go the California way it will take months and months and everything has to be notorized. Even if you just want a genealogical copy. It is not cheap or easy from them. In fact, a real pain.

New Jersey was a different story. I had to prove lineage for my grandmother's record.

lilbees
From http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_rec ... ealogy.htm
What types of records are available from the New York State Department of Health for genealogy research?

Vital records registration started in New York State outside of New York City in 1881. Generally, the New York State Department of Health provides uncertified copies of the following types of records for genealogy research purposes:

•Birth certificates - if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.

•Death certificates - if on file for at least 50 years.

•Marriage certificates - if on file for at least 50 years and the bride and groom are both known to be deceased.
This would seem to be why Jim needs to obtain the death certificate, first.
Carmine