Missing Birth Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Missing Birth Certificate

Post by SChiarini »

Hi all!

I sent away 3 months ago for a birth certificate for my great grandmother - to Toritto - I then wrote a follow up letter last month since I still hadn't heard anything.

To make the long story short I received an email basically saying they have NO records of my ancestor based on the dates I gave them.

Does anyone know if the commune can check their records based on a persons name since I don't have an exact date of birth?? ( I'm not exactly sure how to translate that in Italian- so there may be a communication problem )

Also, I am going through GGF--->GF--->F for my dual citizenship, do you think the NY consulate will not accept my application if I do not have a birth certificate for my GGM?

thanks!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Missing Birth Certificate

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im not sure if it will be an issue not being able to get that document or not. They do require it but it isnt a part of the direct blood line your going through. Im sort of in the same situation as you. I keep trying with no answer for my GGM BC. But Im hoping its not a big issue because she is just a spouse and not direct line.

Alicia
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

SChiarini wrote:Hi all!

I sent away 3 months ago for a birth certificate for my great grandmother - to Toritto - I then wrote a follow up letter last month since I still hadn't heard anything.

To make the long story short I received an email basically saying they have NO records of my ancestor based on the dates I gave them.

Does anyone know if the commune can check their records based on a persons name since I don't have an exact date of birth?? ( I'm not exactly sure how to translate that in Italian- so there may be a communication problem )

Also, I am going through GGF--->GF--->F for my dual citizenship, do you think the NY consulate will not accept my application if I do not have a birth certificate for my GGM?

thanks!
Being Italian, living in Italy, I would advise you to search for first by yourself in the Civil registration of the town of Toritto (I remember your search :wink: ) of the Mormons...
I personally talked with an employee of the Stato Civile of the Comune were I live.. she told me they have piles or unanswered requests of Acts in the office due to incorrect birth dates or names etc........
So, when you'll find the correct birth act you can write them with the correct dates ...
Here is the link to contact your nearest family history center :

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

the link to find the towns microfilmed:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

Laura
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Laura,

In my situation the FHL doesnt have the town of Stella Cilento on film. I know its the right town and I have the right details. Im just not getting any answer. Any suggestions?

Alicia
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Laura,

In my situation the FHL doesnt have the town of Stella Cilento on film. I know its the right town and I have the right details. Im just not getting any answer. Any suggestions?

Alicia
The State Archive of Salerno keeps the civil registration from 1809 to 1865 of all the Comuni of the Salerno Province. For Civil registration post-1865 you have to ask directly to the Comune of Stella Cilento (in your case)

http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... afiche.htm

Laura
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Yep, thats my case. My ancestor was born 1875 but Im not having any luck. Im doing it a round about way now and requesting the birth certificate of her first child with her first husband, hoping I can get some info that way.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

SChiarini wrote: ...
Using a similar lineage (GF -> F -> myself), I submitted my application in New York in mid-2008 and had my approval letter less than six weeks later.

Even at that time, the NYC consulate's information said that documents were required for both sides of each generation, causing me great grief as my grandparent's comune was unable to locate grandmother's birth record and also because my mother's New York birth certificate was hopeleesly mangled (every name on it was misspelled and my mother's given name was never registered at all - she was simply "unnamed female child").

As it turned out, when I actually submitted my documents, I was not asked for any of the non-direct line certificates.

I should add, however, that from various posts on this site and others, my impression is that the New York consulate has become much more demanding in recent months.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Thank you all for your input - it's definitely causing me a bit of a headache! I am trying to figure out dates but on every single paper I have from her has an incorrect date!!

I am really hoping it won't matter too much because she is not in the direct blood line, but I guess I won't know until my appointment, as I've also heard NY has gotten a bit more demanding.

I feel terrible but I emailed the comune again last night and to my surprise they responded this morning! I'm not exactly sure what the email says so if anyone can roughly translate this for me I would appreciate it.

Spett.le Sig.ra Chiarini,
dalla ricerca effettuata nei registri dello stato civile del Comune di Toritto è stato trovato l'atto di nascita della persona da Lei indicata. La data di nascita non corrisponde a quelle da Lei comunicata, la paternità corrisponde in pieno, la maternità invece corrisponde solo parzialmente. Penso che la persona da Lei indicata dovrebbe essere quella di cui all'allegato certificato. Dico dovrebbe perchè, in questo tipo di ricerca, errare è più che umano. Le invio, via e-mail, in anticipo, il certificato da Lei richiesto. Le invio l'originale per posta ordinaria all'indirizzo da Lei indicato.
Distinti saluti
Nicola Tarulli
Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Comune di Toritto
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The imperfect but useful Google translator comes up with:
the research carried out in the registers of the City of Toritto found the birth of the person you indicate. The date of birth does not correspond to those reported by you, fatherhood is full, but motherhood is only partially. I think the person indicated by you should be to Annex certificate. I say should because, in this type of research, rather than to err is human. The transmission via e-mail beforehand, the certificate you requested. I send the original by postal mail to the address you indicated.
I take this to mean they found a record but some of the particulars (date of birth and mother's name) do not agree entirely with your request. They are mailing the document to you (?) for your review.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Yes, essentially it means that the records they found do not correspond exactly to the dates you provided. The information for the father corresponds exactly, but the information for the mother corresponds only partially. They do believe, however, that this is the person you are seeking, and they are sending the original (probably a certified copy) of the document to you by snail mail.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

thanks so much for translating :)

I think I figured out her correct birth day - but still can't figure out the year! Hopefully this is the right person... if not it's back to square one! haha
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I received the extract of my GGM birth certificate. It seems to be handwritten, however, they wrote Angela instead of Angelina. I am kind of worried that this will not suffice because on most the documents I have it says Angelina. I wrote them again and asked them (or at least I think I asked them, hopefully Google translator is accurate) to check the birth certificate again and if it says Angelina- please send another copy.

Do they copy it word for word usually?

Does anyone have any recent experience with minor discrepancies such as this?