Guiseppe Gestro (1846-1905)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
CeiJae

Guiseppe Gestro (1846-1905)

Post by CeiJae »

Hello.

I'm looking for any information that can be found on my great-great grandfather Guiseppe (Joseph) Gestro. He was born in 1846 in Italy, and died in 1905 in Wellington, New Zealand. I don't know when he came over.

I've been talking to my great-aunt (his granddaughter) and she tells me that he said he came from Brindisi, although she's found no information about the Gestro's there and that she believes he is more likely to have come from Genoa. Her cousin Noni Gestro got in contact with a Mario Gestro from Genoa but couldn't find any sort of connection.

He may have had different surnames. Being illiterate and with Joseph's accent the name Gestro was written down how it was pronounced hence the various spellings- Jestroe ,Jestro, Justre and Gustra.

Joseph Justre(Gestro) married Frances Cunningham alias Mullins at St Mary of the Angels Wellington 6th May 1876. He had 9 children, my great grandmother Catherine Gestro being his youngest (she married William Issac Akersten). I don't know all of their names as this has only come up while I've been researching the Akersten family.

Any information that can be found to help me find out more about my Italian heritage is welcomed and appreciated.