Diffferent name on Publicazioni and Marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Diffferent name on Publicazioni and Marriage record

Post by elecar »

Could someone look at Familysearch.pilot for me?
Italy, Monreale,
Campofiorito .1842-1911 Publicazioni Image 200 of 242.
Francesco Gendusa of Bartolomeo and Rosaria Randazzo and Nicolina Cicio of Filippo and Rosa Radosti. The handwriting in this record is not very good.
Matrimony 1895 Image 33 of 85 shows:
Salvator Gendusa and Nicolina Cicio. Same parents as Publicazioni for both.
I have records for 2 children born to Francesco Gendusa and Nicolina Cicio which both died.

Could Salvator be Francesco's real name? The last line in the Publicazioni record looks like it has Salvator in it.
I would add an attachement for this records to this but do not know how to do it.

To add more confusion the death certificate for Franceso Gendusa (Frank Gendusa) we have shows his parents as Bartolo Gendusa ( which I can understand is shortened) and Rosaria Bella ( which I don't understand)

Any help on this appreciated. Thanks
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Diffferent name on Publicazioni and Marriage record

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome!

It would be better if you could post the images here for us to look at. Do you have copies of the documents in question on your computer? If you do, you can post them using an image-sharing site such as www.imageshack.com
After you upload the image, copy the direct link code and post in the forum.

Meanwhile I'll try to take a look at the familysearch pilot images, as I'm sure others will do.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Not having much luck pulling up the marriage record you indicated. Only found a Frank Gendusa, born 1870 Italy, married to Camille.

However, on Ancestry.com I did find a 1920 Census for Louisiana with a Frank Gendusa, 58, and wife Lena (could this be Nicolina?) 42, both immigrated in 1900
Children: 4 daughters - Sarah-16, Mary-14, Josephine-12, Virginia-10
All born in Louisiana

T.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

I guess I should not have included the information on the death record for Frank Gendusa as he died in America. Just thought strange to have a different last name for his mother. I have all of the census records from the U.S. Sorry for the confusion.
My only question is on the difference of names on the Publicazioni and marriage records from Campofiorito.
I have not downloaded the records to my computer. I have paper copies. The handwriting on the Publicazioni is not good.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

I posted a reply to Tessa 78's message. I am not sure if I should hit the post reply above or just the Submit below the Quick Relpy message. Could someone clarify this. I am new at this.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I was able to look at both records and the dates of the marriage match Jan 21, 1895. This date for the actual marriage also is noted on the publication. One possibility is that the first name Salvatore is simply an error made by the individual who wrote out the document. Another possibility is that Francesco had a middle named which may have been used in some documents. I have seen records in some towns where children at birth were given multiple first names, or should I say a first name followed by a number of middle names. Then in later records, the first name is not used but one of the middle names is used, which can drive you nuts when you are trying to determine if someone is one and the same person. I don't know what other explanation to offer you, but these two records do appear to be for the same groom and bride.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Maetra 36:
Thank you for replying. I thought maybe the name could have been an error. The last word (name) on the last line of the Publiczaioni looks like it could be Salvator. But that could also be a stretch of my imagination. I now have a marriage date Jan. 21, 1895.
I will have to look at Baptism records from Chiusa Sclafani and that should clarify the name.
I have also seen records with middle names.
Again, thank you for looking at this. I appreciate it.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The name Salvator you see on the last line of the publication is the name of the father of the one witness. I don't have the image in front of me anymore, but I remember seeing that. I forget offhand what that witness's first name was.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Maestro 36,
Thank you again. I have the printout in front of me. I thought that might be it. It shows a Vincenzo Montaleone Di Giovanno and Vinzenzo ? Di Salvatore.
I am going to try and make a better copy of the printout to see if I can interpret the ? name.
Thank you. You have been a great help.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Happy I was able to help you. I just looked at the record again and the last name of the witness Vincenzo of Salvatore was Gannuscio. The surname still exits in the current Italian white pages for the town. I also think the father of the other witness was Giovanni, not Giovanno, but I no longer have the image opened in front of me.

http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Maestro 36,
Your response was great. I clicked on the link, put in Gendusa and Chiusa Sclafani. Alot of Gendusa names came up. I will try that route. Hope some of them read English.
Thanks again.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Maestro 36:
I have been reading your other posts regarding the publicazioni. I understand from them that it is posted in bride's town and also the groom's town.
In my previous posts I had a problem with the groom's name. Is the publicazioni in the groom's town just a copy of the one in the bride's or do they post one based on the records they have for the groom specifically the correct name?
Thank you.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

When the bride and groom are from different towns, publications are made in both towns. The official in the town of the groom creates documents which are publications (banns) and the official in the town of the bride also creates documents which are publications. The publications created by the groom's town official are posted in his town and a copy of those are sent to the official in the other town. The same is done by the official in the bride's town. He creates publications and posts them in his town and sends copies to the groom's town. This is the reason why copies from one town are found among the state civil records of the other. The publications in the groom's town are not physical copies of the ones in the bride's town, or vice versa, as each is written by a different town official. The publications from both towns, however, should contain the same information concerning the prospective bride and groom. I hope what I am saying is clear to you.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Thank you for responding. This does answer my question.
I didn't think about a notice in the groom's town being posted before I read the other posts. It gives me one more thing to check.
Thanks again.