Ellis Island pics

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Ellis Island pics

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I recently went to Ellis Island and took a bunch of pics. I picked some of my favorites (because there are just too many to share) to post here. I thought some people who never got to go there or live elsewhere might like to see them. Some pictures are me on the actual grounds, some from the ferry and some waiting in the ferry right where the ships pulled up with our ancestors. And of course a pic of the registry room where everyone piled in and started the process of being registered. Enjoy!

http://img260.imageshack.us/g/img07327017445.jpg/

Alicia
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Ellis Island pics

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:I recently went to Ellis Island and took a bunch of pics. I picked some of my favorites (because there are just too many to share) to post here. I thought some people who never got to go there or live elsewhere might like to see them. Some pictures are me on the actual grounds, some from the ferry and some waiting in the ferry right where the ships pulled up with our ancestors. And of course a pic of the registry room where everyone piled in and started the process of being registered. Enjoy!

http://img260.imageshack.us/g/img07327017445.jpg/

Alicia

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I agree with Squigy. Great pics, Alicia. Thanks for sharing.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thanks you two! Not everyone is as lucky as I am; Im an hour away! The place to me is magical and I plan on going back this month. Its a place that you need a lot of time or several visits to fully absorb and enjoy

Alicia
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I've been there, but not in many years since relocating. Being there does give you quite a feeling, especially when you know your ancestors were Ellis Island arrivals.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Its true. I have several family members that came through Ellis Island. Many of them I have never met. Its the closest I will ever be to them.And knowing I was walking in their footsteps is just something you have to experience. Im a history major though also. I LOVE history. So for me, just being in a historical place that I can touch and feel and not stare at in a book is awesome, lol!

Alicia
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Its true. I have several family members that came through Ellis Island. Many of them I have never met. Its the closest I will ever be to them.And knowing I was walking in their footsteps is just something you have to experience. Im a history major though also. I LOVE history. So for me, just being in a historical place that I can touch and feel and not stare at in a book is awesome, lol!

Alicia
I would love to visit Ellis Island, only it is six hours away from where I live.

Anyway, I, too, like to be in places I know my ancestors have been in. Something really strange; I lived most of my life in PA, and about three years ago, I moved to VA. I recently discovered one of my paternal ancestors was born 10 minutes away from where I live now, and went to the church I used to attend.

P.S. My 250th post made my status Elite :D
My Italian surnames:

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

If you ever get a chance to go you really should. Its amazing. I spent the day in my GG grandparents footsteps. I entered ellis island through a boat and spent hours there. Then I roamed around Jersey City where they lived taking pictures and had some dinner, and went to the cemetery where they were buried. I followed there path from first getting here to dying here. It was incredible and I felt they were with me the whole time leading me. How do I know? In a cemetery of 300, 000 burials I somehow found their tombstone and their childrens (which is seperate and on the other side of the cemetery) in less then 20 minutes without ever being there before or someone directing me! Now thats amazing :)

Alicia
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:If you ever get a chance to go you really should. Its amazing. I spent the day in my GG grandparents footsteps. I entered ellis island through a boat and spent hours there. Then I roamed around Jersey City where they lived taking pictures and had some dinner, and went to the cemetery where they were buried. I followed there path from first getting here to dying here. It was incredible and I felt they were with me the whole time leading me. How do I know? In a cemetery of 300, 000 burials I somehow found their tombstone and their childrens (which is seperate and on the other side of the cemetery) in less then 20 minutes without ever being there before or someone directing me! Now thats amazing :)

Alicia
So you sort of spent a day "getting close" to your ancestors :lol: ?

I think I'm lucky to know a lot about my great great grandparents. My uncle made a documentary with five of their children, and it is about an hour and a half of them telling family stories and such. I also lived in the same city that they lived in when they came to this country (actually across the street from the house they lived in) for several years.
I think that is really the best part of genealogy; getting to know about your ancestors lives, not only recording a few names and dates.
My Italian surnames:

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well I think this says it all:

"To speak the name of the dead is to make them live again"

-Ancient Egyptian Proverb
Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Violam »

It IS an amazing place. Ive been there a few times..a few just isn't enough. I cried, got goose bumps n just walked around with my mouth opened..I think it may do that kind of thing to US who have had family come in. Its something that for me is really hard to put into words...I walked around, sat on the benches, touched the railings and just kept saying, "my Grandparents may have sat here..the feeling goes right thu you..wow Alice..u r lucky..thanks for sharing the pics.
"Walk lightly on Mother Earth"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It is so very sad that so very many of my Italian compatriots right here in NYC and in lala land California are not aware of the film THE GOLDEN DOOR which is an Italian film concerning the travails of a boatload of Sicilian immigrants enduring the ellisisland process.

The cinematic exploration of what our ancestors actually experienced provides the viewer with the authentic turn of the century arrival at Ellis Island. Beautifully filmed with english subtitles. The dialogue is totally in SICILIAN. It is a must see film. Rent this film its on DVD.

www.timeout.com/film/reviews/84282/golden-door.html

When you see it you will feel Ellis island. =Peter=
~Peter~
Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Violam »

I am reading the book, Island Of Hope, Island Of Tears now..funny. I got it at the book fair here in a Mexican book store. I can actually 'see' what was going on..I bought the book for $10..when I am finished with it, Iam going to return it to the store. Maybe some one else will enjoy it too. I m not sure if I saw that, but the name sounds familiar..thank you so much Peter..
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you read the review and see the foto you will know if you seen the movie "The Golden Door"

Particularly since the film was shot in Sicilian language entirely with english subtitles and uniquely filmed.

Your wanting to leave the book for other to read reflects your sensitivity to such an aspiring though mournful movie since many of us here are now descended from this time and place. Suerte! =Peter=
~Peter~
Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Violam »

Thank you...