GGF born in Argentina to Italian parents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
shaunbehr

GGF born in Argentina to Italian parents

Post by shaunbehr »

So I have been starting the legwork of obtaining documents to pursue dual citizenship. My GGF was born in 1907, lived in Ortona, Italy, immigrated to US in 1924, fathered my GM in 1931 and naturalized in 1938. However, my GGGF was apparently working for some indefinite amount of time in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and my GGF was born there.

Does anyone know how citizenship worked then? Did you inherit your parent's regardless of birthplace? Does the place the birth was registered have a bearing on citizenship?

I didn't think his birthplace would be an issue until I received his naturalization record. In the field for former nationality they entered "Argentine". His passport shows Italian though. I know the naturalization record is what they use during dual citizenship requests, so am I out of luck? What are my next steps?

I guess I need to try to locate his birth certificate from Argentina? Any thoughts or direction would be helpful. I have a few too many unknowns in my head to determine what to do next..
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Re: GGF born in Argentina to Italian parents

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

You need to contact the Camara Nacional Electoral in Argentina and find out if they have a certificado de ciudadano or not for him.

I just applied through my M-GM-GGF. My GGF was Italian and moved to Argentina in 1925. All records I have from him say Italian, but I called the CNE in Buenos Aires, they checked and indeed, there's no record of him ever becoming an Argentinian citizen.

Let me know if you need more help on this subject!
shaunbehr

Post by shaunbehr »

Are there any online databases I can search for Argentinian birth records? I have also seen many different instructions for requesting a copy, many different addresses. I am not sure which is the correct entity or process. It would be best if I could verify it's existence somewhere and then request via email. Any options to do either of those?

I have no real working spanish language ability either, so this is causing some confusion for me as well.
shaunbehr

Post by shaunbehr »

Where is the best place to check contact info for the agency you are referring to? His actual birth took place in San Isidro. Is that still considered Buenos Aires for the purpose of contacting for records?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Family History Library has encyclopedias specifically published in Argentina or by specific subject.

Both types are listed in the Family History Library Catalog under:

United States-Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Argentina-Encyclopedias and Dictionaries

The information may answer your inquiry concerning citizenship for the 1925 period you are currently researching. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is an english version website for an agency in Buenos Aires www.familias-argentinas.com.ar (clickon British flag for english) who can assist you quite nicely. I have no knowledge of their costs and have not dealt with them directly. Give it a shot and see what happens! =Peter=
~Peter~