Does the person's actual address show up in the white p

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rapma2000

Does the person's actual address show up in the white p

Post by rapma2000 »

I was able to do a succesful family research through a gentleman who answered my posting for family history Pellecchia/Spagnuolo from Avellino. However I want to find if there are any relatives still in Avellino. I checked the Italian whites pages and there were 75 Pellecchia's and 108 Spagnuolo's just in Avellino. I have the form letter for sending to possible relatives, but I would like to make sure I am reading the address's correct that show up, they do not have street numbers. I know the postal code is 83100. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am going to italy in Sept and plan on visiting Avellino. Thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Does the person's actual address show up in the whi

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Looking at the telephone directory for Pellecchia ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &ind=&l=en ), I see many addresses with street numbers. Keep in mind that in Italy - as in much of the civilized world - the strret number comes after the name, unlike in the US where the number is shown first.

Thus, picking one of the names at random, the address is shown as:

83100 Avellino (AV)
Via Ferriera, 47

which we will turn upside down and write it as:

Surname Given Name
Via Ferriera, 47
83100 Avellino (AV)
Italy
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

Surname Given Name
Via Ferriera, 47
83100 Avellino (AV)
Italy

may i suggest one change;

Surname Given Name
Via Ferriera, 47
83100 Avellino (AV)
Italy-Italia

i had CHRISTMAS CARDS RETURNED because ''they'' did not know where
====== ITALY====was located.

j
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Actually, I heard the contrary....if you put Italia it comes back to you and its best to leave it as Italy.

Alicia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

this is the correct way:
Surname Given Name
Via Ferriera, 47
83100 Avellino (AV)
Italy

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The name of the destination country should be spelled in the way which is common in the origin country.

While Italy/Italia may not be too confusing, American postal workers are unlikely to know that mail addressed to "Rossiyskaya Federatsiya" needs to go into the bin marked "Russia".

Ref: http://www.usps.com/international/addre ... ail.htm#H1
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rapma2000

Post by rapma2000 »

Thanks so much for the clarification on the address's. Now I need to get busy sending out these letters.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

my suggestion was offered since i had mail returned.

adding dual destinations should not be cause for dispute.

j
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

juanminbar wrote:my suggestion was offered since i had mail returned.

adding dual destinations should not be cause for dispute.

j
I am actually curious about this; are you located in the US?

As in my previous link, the US Postal Service clearly indicates that country names should be written in english. In fact, I use a commercial application to print labels/envelopes complete with postage (for a small business I operate) and it will not allow me to enter anything other than the common english names - Italy, in this case.

As a side note, the US Postal Service does not accept mail addressed to the "United Kingdom". It is necessary to specify "England", "Northern Ireland", "Wales", or "Scotland".
Carmine

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

I am actually curious about this; are you located in the US?

As in my previous link, the US Postal Service clearly indicates that country names should be written in english. In fact, I use a commercial application to print labels/envelopes complete with postage (for a small business I operate) and it will not allow me to enter anything other than the common english names - Italy, in this case.
=============================================
it should not matter where i am located.

i'm not questioning what you know as fact.

i offered a suggestion... ITALY-ITALIA

at some point the mail is processed in ITALIA=SICILIA.

nuff said.....good luck
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

My friend, I am not trying to be difficult or to challenge you in any way.

The reason I asked your location is as follows: once the mail arrives in Italia, rest assured that the Italian postal workers know what to do with it (well, some would argue that point, but that is another discussion).

The difficulty is getting the mail into the correct international processing stream and ultimately onto the correct airplane. To do so, the postal workers (and machines) at the mailpiece's origin must be able to read and understand the name of the destination country. Here in the United States, we refer to that country as "Italy" and I think it is safe to say that many Americans have never even seen the name Italia just as most Americans have never heard of Firenze or even Roma (which we know as Florence and Rome).

If you are in the US, then you should address mail to "ITALY". If you are in another country in which the native language actually uses the term "ITALIA" (there are many), then that is the name you should use when addressing envelopes.
Carmine

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

i find it amusing that you continue on the topic.

i offered a suggestion and you seem not to accept it.

i pointed out that i had mail returned....have you had any mail returned????

having said that i will offer the same advice to anyone who is seeking same.

stay well. john
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

juanminbar wrote:i find it amusing that you continue on the topic.

i offered a suggestion and you seem not to accept it.

i pointed out that i had mail returned....have you had any mail returned????

having said that i will offer the same advice to anyone who is seeking same.

stay well. john
No, I have not had mail returned. Because I use US Postal Service registered software to print my envelopes and postage, it is impossible for me to enter an address incorrectly. If I try putting anything other than "ITALY" on the last line of the address, the software generates an error message and will not allow me to proceed. In similar fashion, using my previous example, "Rossiyskaya Federatsiya" generates an error whereas "RUSSIA" (the name we use in the US to identify that country) does not.

I find it amusing that you will not answer my simple question: Were you mailing from the US? If so, then your beef is with your local Postmaster, not with me. When mailing from the US to other countries, "The full address should be typed or legibly written in English—using Roman letters and Arabic numerals ... The last line of the address block area must include only the complete country name (no abbreviations) written in uppercase letters." ( http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_007.htm )
Carmine

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

I find it amusing that you will not answer my simple question: Were you mailing from the US? If so, then your beef is with your local Postmaster, not with me. When mailing from the US to other countries, "The full address should be typed or legibly written in English—using Roman letters and Arabic numerals ... The last line of the address block area must include only the complete country name (no abbreviations) written in uppercase letters." ( pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_007.htm )
==============================================

i see no reason to respond to your question and i have ''no'' beef with the u.s.postal system.

i replied to an inquiry and you took it upon yourself to dispute my experience, my answer.

if you cannot accept it then ignore it.

ciao, john
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

I probably shouldn't get involved, but I believe the original posters question was answered...perhaps this could be discussed elsewhere.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito