To Email, or not to Email?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
pdantonio

To Email, or not to Email?

Post by pdantonio »

I am currently focused on a part of my family that is in Sant'Arpino, Italy and am interested in contacting the parish priest there.

I have browsed the parish's website and the priest lists an email for the parish. Would it be acceptable to contact the priest via email to simply ask if he would be willing to help (not mention any names yet) and inform him that I would be willing to send an monetary offering? Or should I simply write to him through the mail?

I am interested in email only because it seems quicker and would be more convenient for both of us.

Thanks for your advice ahead of time.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: To Email, or not to Email?

Post by maestra36 »

Hello and welcome to this forum-
My husband's cousin contacted a parish priest via email a few years ago, told him specifically what records she needed and the names of her ancestors, and that she would be visiting the town and she gave him the dates. He emailed her back that he would have the copies ready when she visited there. Not only did he get her copies of records from his books, but he went to some neighboring towns and retrieved copies from those parishes as well. She made a generous donation when she saw him. I would not mention money in an initial email, but I think you should tell him specifically the information for which you are searching. He should then confirm to you via email that he has the information in his parish books and how to go about obtaining the copies from him. If there is an email address there, I would certainly try that first before sending a letter through snail mail.
pdantonio

Post by pdantonio »

@maestra36

Thanks very much for your help! Now I just have to piece together an email (too bad I took French in school).
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The following link will help you construct a letter to the parish priest:

Italian letter writing guide by the Lds

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
pdantonio

Post by pdantonio »