Ship's manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
petey

Ship's manifest

Post by petey »

I am looking to locate ship manifest I believe for the Empress of Britain which sailed form England to Montreal Canada in 1936.
My Italian father's name is Roberto Mello.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Ship's manifest

Post by maestra36 »

You may find information on the following website of use to you in tracking down a ship manifest for your ancestor.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/immi ... 000-e.html
petey

Post by petey »

Found a corrected date of April or May of 1938. when he landed in Mtl.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi petey! Welcome to the forum :-)

I wasn't able to find the 1938 manifest, but I did locate a manifest from December of 1948, on which is listed Roberto Mello (with a Canadian Passport), traveling with wife Maria, 22, and son Pietro, 1 (they are traveling on Italian passports). They are all in transit to Canada, arriving at port of New York December 3, 1948, on the SS Sobieski.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2508/mellov.jpg

T.
petey

Post by petey »

Thank you I have this info.
This is a trip we took to Italy when I was a baby.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Roberto was born in Italy? If yes, what town?

Date of birth about 1911-12?

T.
petey

Post by petey »

He was born in 1911 in Salussola. Imigrated to Montreal Canada in 1938.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You may have to contact the Canadian government to obtain your father's manifest... The following is from the link provided above by maestra.

After 1935

Records of immigrants arriving at Canadian land and seaports from January 1, 1936 onwards remain in the custody of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. To request a copy of another person's immigration record, you must mail your request to the under-noted office:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Public Rights Administration
360 Laurier Avenue West
10th Floor
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1L1

Please note that:

•The request should include the full name at time of entry into Canada, date of birth and year of entry. Additional information is helpful, such as country of birth, port of entry and names of accompanying family members.
•Applications for copies of documents must be submitted on an Access to Information Request Form [www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/350-57-eng.asp] by a Canadian citizen or an individual residing in Canada. Fee: $5.00, payable to the Receiver General for Canada.
•The request must be accompanied by a signed consent from the person concerned or proof that he/she has been deceased 20 years. Proof of death can be a copy of a death record, a newspaper obituary or a photograph of the gravestone showing name and death date. Proof of death is not required if the person would be over 110 years of age.
Important Note

To obtain a copy of your own landing record, you must submit an Application for a Certified True Copy, Correction, or Replacement of an Immigration Document [www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/appli ... rtcopy.asp] to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Alternatively, you can apply for a Permanent Resident Card [www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/index.asp].

Library and Archives Canada does not hold copies of the post-1935 records.

T.
petey

Post by petey »

Thanks
I also came up with that but thought that maybe someone could come up with a different approach.
My father is deceased. According to the above I would have to wait another 12 years.
I have the complete history of the ship the RMS Empress of Britain showing its history and trips and subsequent sinking during WWII.