Question about a name...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Question about a name...

Post by lljg »

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this question, but I have been wondering about this for a long time. My Great Uncle, who's name was Ralph (Cono) Longo (I assume that Cono is his Italian name) went by the name - and I will spell it phonetically as I do not know how to truly spell it -- Uncle Canewch. I guess it was spelled Canuch? Does anyone know what this means? I asked his only living daughter several years ago and she said she never knew what it meant. She thought that he was called that name in Italy.

Thank you for any comments!!

Jean
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question about a name...

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The suffix -ucci in various forms (-ucci, -ucce, -uccia, -uccio) is used to indicate "small" or "little".

My father's name was Carmine as is mine (Jr). My father's mother, the only grandparent I actually knew (the other's having died before or soon after my birth) spoke only Italian and usually called me Carminucci, meaning "Little Carmine".

So, perhaps your uncle was some variant spelling of Conucce? Was there an elder Cono?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: You can get a good idea of how these sounds are pronounced using this site http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

Try Conucce, for example.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thanks Johnnyonthespot! I have no further information about Ralph (Cono) Longo. He married my Great Aunt. Unfortunately, everyone who had information has passed. Along with all of my other genealogy research, I'd like to find out more about him.

Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

I checked out "Connuce" on the site www.oddcast.com/home/d...xample.php (along with some variations). I'm wondering if the sound of the "e" at the end was dropped and this is it... Hmmm....
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

lljg wrote:I checked out "Connuce" on the site www.oddcast.com/home/d...xample.php (along with some variations). I'm wondering if the sound of the "e" at the end was dropped and this is it... Hmmm....
One of the first things you would be taught should you ever sign up for a beginner's Italian course, is that in Italian all letters are pronounced.

While this may be technically correct, I have found that most of the native-speakers I have known routinely dropped those final syables/vowels. What my grandmother really said, for example, was nearer to (how to do this in english...) Carmen-ooch. Nonetheless, the correct spelling would have been Carminucci and the final sylable should be pronounced "che" as in cheese.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

lljg wrote:I checked out "Connuce" on the site www.oddcast.com/home/d...xample.php (along with some variations). I'm wondering if the sound of the "e" at the end was dropped and this is it... Hmmm....
By the way - one 'n', two c's, like this: conucce. Possibly (Livio, are you out there?) Conuccio. Either way, it would probably be spoken as Co- or Ca-nooch.
Carmine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Canuccio is abbreviated from a normal and customary first name and in english phonetically pronounced as KA-NOOCH-EEO but oftimes the EEO would also be dropped for KA-NOOCH. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Peter - I believe that in standard Italian, the "cio" sylable is pronounced "cho" as in chosen or choke; not EEO as indicated above.

I agree though that this sylable would commonly be dropped in spoken Italian, thus ka-nooch.
Carmine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I was talking about ENGLISH phonetic not ITALIAN phonetic. =Peter=
~Peter~
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

So if his name was Cono could it actually have been Canuccio?

Jean
Jean

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It's much like John is Johnnie. Yes =Peter=
~Peter~
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thanks Peter! Is there any reason he was called "Ralph" in the US? Does Cono translate to Ralph??

Jean
Jean

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I never heard Cono as a first name, nor Canuccio. I might be wrong...
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Does Cono mean anything?

Jean
Jean