Question about a name...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rallport

Re: Question about a name...

Post by rallport »

Hi Jean,

My Grandfathers name was Cono,He was born in Teggiano,Campania,Salerno,Italy where there was a saint Cono.Most families named thier first son Cono,so there was a lot of men named Cono.I read a story that they would call a younger Cono by Conuccio to avoid confusion.There are a great deal of families that ended up around Williamsburg Brookyln Where there are a lot of Cono,s.There is also a city in Sicily that Celebrates Saint Cono.
Hope this helps
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thanks rallport! I am not sure if my Great Uncle was born in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania, Italy - which is where my Great Aunt, Grandma, Great Grandparents, etc. were born. I appreciate all of the information you have shared. It certainly helps and gives me more to look into! My Great Uncle came to Pittsburgh, PA and I have no information on him beyond his birth and death dates.

Take care -- Good luck on your journey!!
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Still Taking to the Streets to Honor Their Saints, an article in today's New York Times regarding an Italian envclave in Brooklyn, NY, and the annual festival of Saint Cono.
Devotees of St. Cono, who hail from Teggiano, Italy, first settled the area in the 1880s, establishing one of the many saint societies that exist to this day. After World War II, another society for St. Cono was formed by more recent immigrants; it sponsored this week’s feast.
See the full article at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/nyreg ... st.html?hp (once this link is a few weeeks old, you will need to sign up for a free account at nytimes.com in order to read the article)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thanks johnnyonthespot! That's great information! I appreciate it!

Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Came across this post very late. Here is an article that can help about the name Cono. My grandfather was second generation American-born but was named Cono in honor of his grandfather. In my research, I learned he had many first cousins named Cono in similar fashion. My grandfather went by Conway, as was the name the nuns gave him in school. No one called him Cono, except legally.

The article is a good one...

http://www.oocities.com/saintcono/conosofbklyn1.html