Munno and Vollaro

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Munno and Vollaro

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Jean,

I found what I believe is Umberto Vollero's birth record in 1884. It has an annotation about his marriage that I can't decipher. However, the date seems to be 1906 (I can't read the name).
I found 3 Maria Munno's in 1880, but none have a marriage notation. I'm not sure if any of them are your ancestors. Would you know her parents names?
You indicated they were married in 1907. There does not seem to be record in that year. I don't have the film for 1906 matrimoni's.
Maybe someone will be kind enough to translate these records so that you might be able to determine if one of them is your Maria.

Jim
Sorry, forgot to attach images.
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 84_002.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 84_001.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... th1880.jpg
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Munno and Vollaro

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

The notation on Umberto Vollaro's birth record is for a marriage to Maria Munno or Munico. Date looks like 11 January 1906. (Of course those could be 2's; then it would read 22 February 1906) At least you've got the year!

Birth of Umberto Vollaro on 22 September 1884 at 11 AM
to Gaetano Vollaro, 45, and Maria de Rosa, his wife living with him.

T. :-)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi T.

I started to try my hand at translating and I got stuck on the word after "age 45". It looks like Faenzaro?? What am I doing wrong?
I found these records for Jean (lljg) from my films. She thought they were married in 1907. I have the 1907 film but not 1906. I have been trying to figure out which Maria married Umberto. Munno is a very common name in S.M.
Thank you for helping out.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here's the translation on the "3 Maria's"

First one
Marianna Munno, born 20 May 1880 to
Salvatore Munno, 33 farmer, and
Anna Maria Piccirillo, his wife

Second one
Maria Giuseppa Munno, born 1 January 1880 to
Francesco Munno, 28, farmer, and
Gaetana Ciglione, his wife
N.B. - notation that in the acts of 1895(?), #23, marriage of Maria Giuseppina Munno to Domenico DeSimone.

Third one
Maria Munno, born 17 October 1880 to
Alberto Munno, 40, farmer, and
Maria Antonia Monaco, his wife

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim :-)

I would say you are doing everything RIGHT! What a nice thing to do for Jean...

I also read the occupation as Faenzaro, but I'm thinking the closest I could come was Fornaio (baker)...

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

The writing was so neat, I thought I could get through it. I got frustrated and stopped. I'll do better next time.
Thank you T. I'm sure Jean will really appreciate it too.

Jim
Jim

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Jim and Tessa -- God Bless Both of You!! First of all, Jim, I can't believe you did all of this for me and so quickly. And Tessa, once again you are translating things for me -- and with the speed of light (like Jim!). This means the world to me. I am overwhelmed by both of you. I owe you Jim and Tessa for all of this. Words simply cannot express how much I appreciate this.

God Bless You and PLEASE let me know what I can do for both of you!!
Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Jean,
Do you think any of these Maria's are the one you are seeking? Or do I need to look in a different year? Let me know.
BTW I received a new film today. I found 2 great grandparents births.
That's 2 EUREKA's in 1 day.

Jim
Jim

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Jim,
I forgot to answer your question, I do not know Maria Munno's parents' names or exact birth date. The only thing I know is that she had a brother, Antonio. At least I believe I got this right. I got it from the New York Passenger List for her. I can send it to you if you would like to see it. But, I don't want to burden you with my work. Really. I do appreciate your willingness to find any information, time pending.

As for the marriage date for Maria Munno and Umberto Vollaro (I did wonder about this spelling!), I assumed it was 1907 given the info on the 1930 census.

Thanks again!!
Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi Jim (again!) --- I don't know if any of these Maria's are my Maria! Like I said above, I only know her estimated year of birth (based upon the 1930 census) and her brother's name (Antonio - from the New York Passenger's List).

That's great that you found 2 great grandparents' births!!! Eureka doesn't do it justice!!! Endless excitement!!

Continue to enjoy your journey!!
Jean
Jean

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I didn't know your sources. Census reports are frequently not too accurate but they do give a starting point when we have haven't anything else to go on. When I get a chance, I will look at other years and see if I can find a Maria with a matrimoni annotation. What is the approx. year of Antonio's birth. There are a lot of Munno's in S.M. I will try to look for him too.
I'm still celebrating my find.

Jim
Jim

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

oilman19 wrote:I didn't know your sources. Census reports are frequently not too accurate but they do give a starting point when we have haven't anything else to go on. When I get a chance, I will look at other years and see if I can find a Maria with a matrimoni annotation. What is the approx. year of Antonio's birth. There are a lot of Munno's in S.M. I will try to look for him too.
I'm still celebrating my find.

Jim
Hi again Jim!
I don't know Antonio's birthdate either. I only "know" he exists from the New York Passenger List. I'm a lot of help, right?!

Go on and continue to celebrate!!

Jean
Jean

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Jean,
Don't be rough on yourself. On this forum we use what we have. Your ancestors will be found. Sometimes it just takes a little more work, or as Carmine calls it, the joy of the hunt. Just be sure to share every clue to enhance our ability to find the right record.
We are on the right track.
I will email Umberto's record to you in an attachment.

Jim
Jim

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Oh Jim -- maybe this information may help -- Umberto Vollaro and Maria Munno had 4 children -- Gaetano (which was his father's name, as you found out!!), Francesco, Assunta and Carmella (my Grandma!!). Maybe more of the children were named after their parents??

Oh -- do you happen to also have the records for Umberto's parents?? I know I am asking WAY TOO MUCH!! Don't feel bad about telling me no. I fully understand. I do appreciate all the EUREKAS!!

Take care,
Jean
Jean

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

One more OH Jim --- would you want to see copies of Umberto's and Maria's 1930 census, (Umberto's) naturalization, passenger's lists, (Umberto's) draft records? Would they help you in the hunt for me?? Again, don't feel that you can't say no.

Bye again!
Jean
Jean