Do I need a court order in NY to obtain vital records?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dovelette

Do I need a court order in NY to obtain vital records?

Post by dovelette »

I see someone else asked something about vital records in NY, but a lot of the informationw as edited out, so I'm sort of confused on what I can obtain and what I can't, and if I can't, how I CAN. I will need:

Great grandmothers death certificate
Great grandfathers death certificate
Grandmothers birth certificate
Grandparents marriage certificate
Grandfathers death certificate (I think my mom can get this)
Grandmothers deah certificate (I think my mom can get this too)

I'm applying through my mother-grandfather-great grandfather. My Granfather I THINK was born in Ohio, so I dunno what I'll need to do for that state yet.

Can I obtain these documents being the grand daughter or great granddaughter, or can my mother get them for me? If not, can I try to get a court order to obtain these documents?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Do I need a court order in NY to obtain vital records?

Post by mler »

Are you talking NYC or NYS? I was able to obtain marriage, and death certificates for my grandparents in NYC without a court order. NYS may be more difficult.
dovelette

Post by dovelette »

NYS

I'm having my mom check for me as well, she's just not so swift, not as motiviated as me, but not much I can do about it from Africa!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I think its safe to say with most certified copies you will need to prove relation to that person. At least thats what VitalChek told me. For instance, I will need my great grandfathers documents. But first I have to send them my BC, my mothers BC and my grandmothers BC to show Im related. Its a pain. Im not sure about New York. I have to order only a birth certificate from them but havent done so yet.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

When I was dealing with New York State in 2007, I was told in no uncertain terms that there was no way in heck for me to obtain a certified copy of my grandfather's death certificate. He died in 1945 - more than 60 years ago at that point - what could possibly be the reason for not allowing me to obtain a death certificate?

More recently, I have been reading that New York has made special allowances for dual citizenship applicants, although I do not have any deatils. And, Lord knows, it is practically impossible to get through to New York vital records on the telephone; they don't even publish a number the last time I checked!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I wonder if its the same for a birth certificate? Im hoping I can just use vital check. Thats the only document I need from NY. But Its not a total emergency because the person is a spouse, not from the direct line I need to prove.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

My impression is that birth certificates are the toughest of all.

Rightly so, in my opinion.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Its before 1910 and it seems, according to the website ( this is for the 5 boroughs) I dont need to prove relation. Maybe its because its pre 1910 and anything after that has stricter rules. Im not sure but it seems they only want proof of identity and money

Alicia