geography of Italy in the 1700's

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
tammylou70

geography of Italy in the 1700's

Post by tammylou70 »

I am looking for the town where my ancestors are said to be from, but everyone keeps telling me it does not exist, it is called Corand/Conrad Naples Italy, I have also seen it reffered to as Campania, can anyone help me with this ancient city name so I can continue my search for my ancestors, the last name of my ancestors from that town is Bello and DeLaMaro.

Thank You,

Tammy Hayes
Pawnee, Okla.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: geography of Italy in the 1700's

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :-)

Campania is a Region
Naples is a Province (smaller than a Region)
Within the Province are towns (comuni) and villages (frazioni)

Here is a link to the comuni in Naples, Campania
http://www.italyworldclub.com/campania/napoli/

Here is a list of frazioni (hamlets) that begin with Co
http://www.italyworldclub.com/italian_f ... s-corm.htm

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

couyld it be Contrada? www.nonsolocap.it and put in Contrada and when it comes up click on the name Contrada for the town website. =Peter=
~Peter~
tammylou70

Post by tammylou70 »

Thank you all for all of your help, I am going to research the sites you have sent me, and I will let you know if I get anywhere. Since it was from 1740 I just wonder if the towns names will even still be the same. But if I could just nail down the town they lived in and research it it would be a huge blessing to me. I would love to be able to send off for baptismal and marriage records from the Catholic Church there, but I just don't know where to start. But finding the town will be a huge accomplishment for me.

Tammy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Tammy Lou from past experience you might find the town of origin without knowing the spelling of the last names if you furnish us with some information that exists in your family oral history...the name of the patron sdaint in the town that yhour relatives came from, stories of family about members...stiff like that which is all we need to assist you nicey nicey. =Peter=
~Peter~
tammylou70

Post by tammylou70 »

Since it was so long ago I really dont have much to go on, but I will put what I do have here maybe it will help me. His name is Donato Bello, he was born in 1740 in Corand??? Naples Italy, his parents were Victor Bello born 1716 in Naples Italy, and Marie DeLaMaro born 1718 in Naples Italy. He was a Sub-Lieutenant of the Infantry and Major of militic in the service of his Cathloic Majesty at the Post of Opelousas in Louisiana USA. Thats all I have on him before he came to the USA. No one really know anymore than that. Thanks for all your help.

Tammy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Didn't you go through this in April of this year in this or another website? =Peter=
~Peter~
tammylou70

Post by tammylou70 »

Yes and everyone here has been most helpful, I am truly blessed to have found this site.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Sorry I did not see this post earlier.

Just a tip to you and perhaps anyone.......when I have been stuck in the past in your dilemma.......I go to Ebay and usually look for vintage or historical Italian maps. Sometimes you can find reproductions and sometimes they are prints.....but it's a fairly cheap option ($5-$25) and it's a good way to see towns from the era you need.
dereklee

Post by dereklee »

My Great grandparents are also Victor Bello and Marie De La Maro. I am a descendant of his grandson Martin Donato. I believe we are looking for the same info. I will let you know what I find. My family tree is up on ancestry.com under Derek Lee
LCaldwell

Post by LCaldwell »

I found Città Metropolitana di Napoli
Campania, Italy listed as his place of birth online.