Name Discrepancies in 3 first names

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Name Discrepancies in 3 first names

Post by hollyolly7 »

Hello!

I've got some problems with names on my documents.
GGF birth certificate: Giovanni Molinelli
GGF death certificate: John B. Molinelli

GGM birth certificate: Giovanna Molinelli
GGM's other certificates: Jennie/Jenny

Then heres the best one of all. My grandmother, who had always been called Gertrude was actually named ANNA. Go figure. What luck. She was born in the States so all of her stuff is from there but what should I do?

I went to ask in the citizenship office in the city that I live in Italy if it's ok to provide the census records of 1920 and 1930 that show the same address as my GGparents and GMA for all the certificates and they said it should be ok but I don't know if I want to risk waiting just to be denied. AIUTATEMI!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Name Discrepancies in 3 first names

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Holly,

Many Italians Anglicised their christian names once they settled in the USA.
Your great grandfather's original name was Giovanni Battista Molinelli and so he Anglicised it to John. Also, your great grandmother probably found it easier to call herself Jenny.

However, I can't explain how Gertrude became Anna, or vice versa, unless Gertrude was one of her christian names.

Seraphina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

When Roman Catholics go through the rite of Confirmation (typically between 11-13 years of age?), they adopt the name of a saint with whom they identify or have a special affection for.

Possibly Gertrude was her confirmationn name, in honor of Saint Gertrude ( http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06534a.htm ) and she chose to use that name in her daily life. Unusual perhaps, but not at all unheard of.

Since she was born in the US and if you have a good idea where she resided, you might try contacting the most likely Roman Catholic churches or the local diocese to see if you can obtain copies of her baptism and confirmation certificates as well as any others which may pertain. If nothing else, one of these documents may provide a linkage between the Anna and Gertrude names.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollyolly7 »

Thanks for the help.
My grandmother had always been called Gertrude so I doubt its from confirmation of the church--what do you think about giving the census' in?
They provide the same addresses on the documents with the technically "wrong" names and show everyone living in that building as well.

As far as Giovanni and Giovanna John and Jennie should be accepted right? Has anyone delt with anglican name changes like that for the citizenship??
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Every consulate is different; many have reported no problems at all with Giovanni/John and I am sure I have seen the Giovanna/Jennie pass as well. On the ohter hand, there are consulates out there which insist that every date and every name must match exactly, letter-for-letter.
hollyolly7 wrote:My grandmother had always been called Gertrude so I doubt its from confirmation of the church--what do you think about giving the census' in?
You mean, since birth?
hollyolly7 wrote: They provide the same addresses on the documents with the technically "wrong" names and show everyone living in that building as well.
Most consulates will not accept censuses as proof of anything, other than as "additional evidence" in regards to "No Records Found" for naturalization. Unfortunately, the consulate is more likely to insist that some of your documents are simply for the wrong person and send you out hunting again.

Perhaps you have posted this already, but I haven't seen it - what is the lineage you are using to claim Italian citizenship? Despite what they say on their websites, most consulates only actually look at the direct-line documents; in my case, for example, that meant mine -> my father's -> my grandfather's. The consulate showed no interest at all in my mother's or grandmother's birth certificates - a very good thing, because my mother's was full of errors and the ancestral comune was never able to find my grandmother's. :!:
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollyolly7 »

Yeah, my grandmother never knew that her real name was Anna.
I was thinking the census' prove everything because her name her birth certificate is Anna and she is still living in that same house when she was considered the Gertrude in the 1920 census. Then in the 1930 census she is living in the address stated on her marriage certificate. So I mean, in the end it does prove it but uff...who knows.

The lineage is the following:

GGF--->GMA---->Father---->Me

Thanks again for the help