surnames: Bocchi & Viaggi

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

surnames: Bocchi & Viaggi

Post by suanj »

Hi all: I help an USA friend; she search some record about italian origin place of:
-Giovanni Bocchi-head
-Maria Pellegrina Viaggi married Bocchi -wife
-Iole Rosa Luisa Bocchi -daughter
-Andrea Bocchi-son;
another daughter died in travel.
This family emigrated before 1891in Iron Belt /Wisconsin...why in 1891 are born Inez daughter, and after Adelene Helen and Julia ...

Any help is appreciated....
regards, suanj

------good new Year-------peace & love-----------------------
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: surnames: Bocchi & Viaggi

Post by ptimber »

Suanj did you advise them to file form 81 with NARA. Even though it is a name only inquiry, it may be that they crossed over from canada and there may be a record. records across Canada stgarted in 1892 but it may be worth a try. www.Nara.gov and put in search and then obtain forms in blank spaces. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Peter, can you suggest a Canadian source for immigration records (from 1892) since you suggest there may be records?

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

suanj, saluti!

Not sure if this is the person you are looking for... It says her age is 19... but it could be 29? I will do a further search...

I did find a ship record of a Pellegrina Viaggi, traveling with 2 children

Pellegrina Viaggi 14 Oct 1889 1870 Female Le Havre, France Italy
age 29?

Leonard Viaggi 14 Oct 1889 (age 1)

Joh Viaggi 14 Oct 1889 1885 Female age 4 (could be a different name than what has been transcribed)

Sorry, no mention of town...
mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

here's a link to the manifest mentioned above... hope you can view

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/8830/pelligr8my.jpg

see lines 227, 228 (name is ??) , 229...

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:suanj, saluti!

Not sure if this is the person you are looking for... It says her age is 19... but it could be 29? I will do a further search...

I did find a ship record of a Pellegrina Viaggi, traveling with 2 children

Pellegrina Viaggi 14 Oct 1889 1870 Female Le Havre, France Italy
age 29?

Leonard Viaggi 14 Oct 1889 (age 1)

Joh Viaggi 14 Oct 1889 1885 Female age 4 (could be a different name than what has been transcribed)

Sorry, no mention of town...
mfjp
WOW mfjp!! Thank you! Sure are they! Giovanni are not, and probable was already in USA.. my friend are small info to purpose... the first destination was New York, also this info are important... Leonardo (male) are son died, my friend says was an daughter died in travel, but was an son.. Leonardo, and probable died after the travel...

Andrea not are, probable born in USA... , Joh is really IOLE daughter.. in 1889 was age 4, probable born in 1885.. from reply Massa Carrara common (probable birth common) found not from an search in 1885 to 1888 years; I know that Iole born in Jan 10, and perhaps year are 1885, but the Common I know not, perhaps an Common in Massa or Florence...
again my friend have small infos... the port is Le Havre/France, and are very probable why this passengers coming from Tuscany region sure...
Well mfjp: are possible an search about Giovanni Bocchi before 1889? also are possible an search in census??
Thanks again my friend!
:wink: suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:Suanj did you advise them to file form 81 with NARA. Even though it is a name only inquiry, it may be that they crossed over from canada and there may be a record. records across Canada stgarted in 1892 but it may be worth a try. www.Nara.gov and put in search and then obtain forms in blank spaces. Peter
Thanks Peter, I think that mfjp found sure Pellegrina and childs...now are possible some search for to found italian birth place.... thanks again, :wink: suanj
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

buona mattina...suanj... (it is buona notte here) I just saw your post this very minute. I am looking for census information now...

I did see a manifest of a Giovanni who was going back to the USA (this Giovanni made a few trips) to be with his nephew Michele in San Fransisco... I think I should go back to the other side of the USA....

I will see what I can find. What was the year of birth for Giovanni?

The age of Pellegrina was 29? or 19? on the manifest... ancestry .com says she was 19... but I read it as 29 years old.

mfjp :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:buona mattina...suanj... (it is buona notte here) I just saw your post this very minute. I am looking for census information now...

I did see a manifest of a Giovanni who was going back to the USA (this Giovanni made a few trips) to be with his nephew Michele in San Fransisco... I think I should go back to the other side of the USA....

I will see what I can find. What was the year of birth for Giovanni?

The age of Pellegrina was 29? or 19? on the manifest... ancestry .com says she was 19... but I read it as 29 years old.

mfjp :D
Hi mfjp, thank you!
Pellegrina are on ship's manifest 29, I read, and I think very just.. I know that Giovanni (John )Bocchi was killed in a mining accident and Pellegrina then married a Jiongo (perhaps, if he italian, the spelling of surname was Giongo). Pellegrina have another child, called also John Bocchi born in
in Iron Belt, WI April 2, 1893... this is grandfather of my friend... please let me know if are birthplace of your Giovanni Bocchi.. I think are born before 1860, but not sure... all info is very important... thank you mfjp! :wink: suanj
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Glad you mentioned mining! I did a search of Viaggi passengers, one example is Pietro Viaggi who was going to IRON MOUNTAIN with other paesani from Massa Casola.

Iron Mountain is in Michigan, IRON BELT is very close by - but in Wisconsin...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0325%2ETIF

Will look into the information you mentioned.
mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:Glad you mentioned mining! I did a search of Viaggi passengers, one example is Pietro Viaggi who was going to IRON MOUNTAIN with other paesani from Massa Casola.

Iron Mountain is in Michigan, IRON BELT is very close by - but in Wisconsin...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0325%2ETIF

Will look into the information you mentioned.
mfjp
Hi mfjp, thanks!

Also I found this Pietro Viaggi joining in Iron Mountain, and an Andrea Viaggi joining in Iron Mountain from Pietro cousin, but sure are not related why:

- Pellegrina Viaggi( daughter of Santo Viaggi and Rosalia) re-married the December 26, 1895 with:

- Julius (Giulio) Jiongo(Giongo.. probable coming from Italian Tirolo why listed as Austrian; Giulio Giongo was son of Francesco Giongo listed as Italy birthplace and Rosalia ...) in Hurley, Iron County, Wisconsin, and the childs of this new marriage was born in Wisconsin:

-Inez Jiongo - June 9, 1896

-Adelene Helen Jiongo - August 5, 1898

-Arnold and Julia Jiongo - October 25, 1903.

Pellegrina Viaggi had from first marriage with Giovanni Bocchi this childs in Iron Belt (Leonard died after travel):

-Iole Rosa Bocchi born in Italy (age 4 in 1889)
-Andrew Bocchi born in Iron Belt probable
-John Bocchi sure born Iron Belt, WI April 2, 1893 (gfather of Rose friend)

But ,very strange, Rose friend says that the grave of Giovanni Bocchi is in Michigan....

The family's memory says the birthplace was Massa Carrara or Florence, but The Common of Massa Carrara reply negative, about search if Iole Bocchi was in Massa Carrara born 10 Jan 1885/6/7/8, but, perhaps born in 1884....

waiting your news, many kisses, suanj
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi,
Iron Mountain and Iron Belt are next to each other on the map. If Giovanni's grave is in Michigan, I am not surprised. If someone could find out the name of the Mining company, maybe more records could be found. Coroners reports, newspaper and accident records could be found. Some mining companies kept records (Annual Reports) of those who lost their lives.

Such hard times for this family to face. Long trip to America, loss of children, and husband.

Ancestry .com does not have census records for all the states in 1890. Just some. I cannot get a record for Maria and Giovanni. Maybe more census records will be available of all the States in 2005??. I did find a census for Maria and Julius. I will also link it later to this post. I am not at my regular computer at this time :?. I will also link other manifests of interests.

mfjp :wink:
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Dear mfjp,
Great job helping Suanj. There are only fragments of the 1890 census that remain. There was a fire in the building where they were stored and most was destroyed. I think Ancestry.com has published all that remain of this census.

Debbie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is mention made in the Steven Point Journal on july 28,1883 relating to Giovanni Bocchi. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In fact there are several articles up to 1902 relating to a Giovanni Bocchi in Wisconsin Point Stevens Journal newspaper. Peter