Looking for Valicenti family members from Cersosimo...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JenFayad

Looking for Valicenti family members from Cersosimo...

Post by JenFayad »

My husband's g-grandfather was Giovanni Valicenti born in 1888 in Cersosimo, Potenza, Italy. He was the child of Maria Antonia Valicenti who was unmarried. He had a brother Pasquale Federico Valicenti who was born in 1892. They also had a younger sister who was born in Italy around 1907. Giovanni came to the US in 1907 and returned to Italy in 1914. I have a lot of info on Giovanni and his brother, but none on the sister (who to our knowledge stayed in Italy) and all we know about the mom, Maria Antonia Valicenti, is that she was unwed and lived in Cersosimo. We would like to find out more about her and the daughter. By census and ship records it seems they had other relatives in McKees Rocks, PA where they lived in the U.S., but have not been able to make connection as to how exactly they are related. Any info would be appreciated.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Valicenti family members from Cersosimo...

Post by maestra36 »

Hello and welcome to this forum. There are microfilmed records available for this town through rental at a local Mormon family history center-Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. The following is their official website. You can check to see if there is a local center near your home-

www.familysearch.org

If you search the library catalog on this website, you will find the following that the following years of records have been microfilmed.

Registri dello stato civile di Cersosimo (Potenza), 1809-1929

The cost for rental of a roll of microfilm is currently $5.50 at my local center. The cost for copies depends on the machine used, but is now only costing between 10 to 20 cents a page. In other centers, I paid as much as 50 cents a page. You can learn a great deal about a family doing microfilmed research.

Also, another website to watch is www.familysearchlabs.org

The Mormons are putting a lot of information from records online. Currently there is nothing for your town, but you should check this website from time to time, as it is always changing.
Joesky

Post by Joesky »

JenFayad wrote:My husband's g-grandfather was Giovanni Valicenti born in 1888 in Cersosimo, Potenza, Italy. He was the child of Maria Antonia Valicenti who was unmarried. He had a brother Pasquale Federico Valicenti who was born in 1892. They also had a younger sister who was born in Italy around 1907. Giovanni came to the US in 1907 and returned to Italy in 1914. I have a lot of info on Giovanni and his brother, but none on the sister (who to our knowledge stayed in Italy) and all we know about the mom, Maria Antonia Valicenti, is that she was unwed and lived in Cersosimo. We would like to find out more about her and the daughter. By census and ship records it seems they had other relatives in McKees Rocks, PA where they lived in the U.S., but have not been able to make connection as to how exactly they are related. Any info would be appreciated.
Hi, My name is Joe and I am originally from McKees Rocks , PA. My mothers grandmother was a Valicenti and married a Anthony Davenjay. Her maiden name was Filomena Valicenti, she had a brother Vince, whose wife was Antoinette. Other Valicentis that were there and are relatives (I think were cousins of my ma's) were Sam, John, Nick, Lou and Ann Valicenti, (who's married name was Riccardulli). I'd be interested to know if and how they might be related to Giovanni and the Valicenti's you were inquiring about. If you have any info you could share that would be great.
JenFayad

Post by JenFayad »

Joe,

I am not sure how they are related, but I tend to think Giovanni's mother may have had a brother(s) who was in McKees Rocks. That would explain why Giovanni and his brother came to McKees Rocks in the first place. Do you know the names of Filomena and Vince's parents? That might be the connection.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Possible Giovanni"s younger sister Carmela Valicenti heres the record
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9364/valgirl.jpg

On March 22 1902 presented before town official Giuesppe Parsardi appeared Maria Antonia Valicenti age thirty profession peasant farmer living the town of Cersosino at the house on Via Mondi?? presented a female child named Carmela witnessed by Pasquale Maria Barone age 74 farmer and Vincenzo Vitorilli age 46 farmer all living in the town of Cersosino. onnly ones that signed the record were Vincenzo and Giuesppe

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Also possible the mother Maria Valicenti born in Sept 1872 the document is pretty rough might have to post need a little help on this one on the translation section on here with this image here the record
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/936/mariaval.jpg

In the year 1872 Sept before me civil official Antonnio Valicenti appeared Vincenzo Valicenti son of Petro age 30?? needs some help with the rest

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
JenFayad

Post by JenFayad »

Thank you so much Marty! I believe these are the right ones, but I wish the record on Maria was clearer. I have someone who can look at it and possibly help me figure more of it out. You definitely found something that I could never access. Thank you for your help. :) Jen
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jen :-)
Nice find, Marty :-)

Here is what I can read in the record...

Dated 9 September 1872
Father is Vincenzo Valicenti, son of Pietro, age 30, peasant farmer
Mother looks like Caterina Alfano
Child was born today (the 9th)
at the house they live in on Strada Piano (?)
The child was given the name Maria.

Witnesses were
Vincenzo Rabolino (sp?), 47, son of deceased Domenico
Leonardo Cala (sp?) 30, son of deceased Francesco
Both were peasant farmers.

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Check this birth record for Pasquale Valicenti
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7052/pasqvali.jpg

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Parents are Vincenzo Valicenti ( no grandfather named) and Maria Rago...

Date is 1892 and Vincenzo is 50 years old.

T.
JenFayad

Post by JenFayad »

Thank you both so much! I am confused about Pasquale, though. I have seen a birth record (for immigration purposes) that says Pasquale Federico Valicenti's mother was Maria Antonio Valicenti who was unwed (which is what Giovanni's birth record also says). Is it possible that Maria Antonio Valicenti also had a brother born the same year as her son? Or could the parents have claimed the child as their own since the daughter was unwed?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Thats exactly what I thought because Vincenzo was 50 and Maria was in her 40's I keep looking for anymore records

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The witnesses on Pasquale's birth record above are
Mariantonia Valicenti, 38; and Filomena Valicenti, 30.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

JenFayad wrote:Thank you both so much! I am confused about Pasquale, though. I have seen a birth record (for immigration purposes) that says Pasquale Federico Valicenti's mother was Maria Antonio Valicenti who was unwed (which is what Giovanni's birth record also says). Is it possible that Maria Antonio Valicenti also had a brother born the same year as her son? Or could the parents have claimed the child as their own since the daughter was unwed?
Well, here is a manifest from 1903 for Vincenzo Valicenti, 60, and his son Pasquale, 8, leaving Cersosimo and traveling to McKees Rocks to his daughter Anna Maria Valicenti. Pasquale lists same person as his sister.

Lines 11 and 12
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

T.
JenFayad

Post by JenFayad »

I don't know where you two are finding these records, but I really appreciate your help! With the Italian tradition of naming children after grandparents, it is possible that there are two different Pasquales, Vincenzos and/or Mariantonio's, thereby making some of these folks cousins. One record lists Maria Antonia as a child between Vincenzo and Caterina Alfano, yet the Pasquale record lists his parents as Vincenzo and Maria Rago. So, perhaps the two Pasquales were born in the same year. We have confirmed with a living relative that Maria Antonia was the mother of both Giovanni and Pasquale, and we have Cersosimo records showing each of their birth years as 1888 and 1892 respectively. I know the manifest for Giovanni in 1907 said he was going to visit "Uncle Giuseppe" in McKees Rocks, and they were somehow related to Leo and Francesco (brothers). I didn't realize how confusing this could all be! :)