The Italian social culture

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

The Italian social culture

Post by AmyT »

The general discontent the world has with America at present is obvious, regardless of how many of us and how different we all are. Please don't respond politcally because although that is the basis here, it's not something I'm willing to engage in on a public forum.

My biggest concern is with contacting family members in Italy, being from the states is like a check against me already is it not?

A friend of mine who was a nanny in Italy in 02-03 said all the time that in general she had a hard time if someone figured out she was an American, but she can blend well given her fluency and connections, having been traveling back and forth to Italy since she was about 12. Her mother is a professor that sometimes teaches in Italy and had some of the same things to say, in general if the people find out your an American they generally make a lot of negative assumptions about you. I always thought this was reserved for jerk off's who hadn't the forethought to not be loud, obnoxious and rediculous. (My friend and her mother are NOT atypical touristy in anyway, but because they are fluent hear what the American's can't understand) What are the experinces lately that people have had?

It definitely makes me think twice before having expectations about communication.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: The Italian social culture

Post by ptimber »

Its like here in the states. if you do not know someone it is easy to brush them off but if they are friends or family you could be a masked bandit and they willstill like you. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Peter,

I guess that's maybe like others, but people have told me that I am kinder to and less critical of strangers and new people.. ha..

Amy
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
enrbonza

Post by enrbonza »

My biggest concern is with contacting family members in Italy, being from the states is like a check against me already is it not?
True, there is presently some discontent about usa foreign politics, especially in the left radical political area.

But this is still Italy, family and friends usually come before politics.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I cannot conceive of politics altering any personal,close or family relationships, partivcularly when you know the politics are usually based upon lies,personal interests and your tax money for their personal gain. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

It makes sense that family comes before politics in Italy. Whatever I feel or don't feel or know or don't know about politics, I would rather not discuss it with family. It's easier to keep the peace and I don't lose esteem for anyone that way (at least not due to politics) ;)

I hate knowing that a general conclusion about 'people' is ever made. People are failable and change often...concluding any one thing about everyone in a certain country is just weird.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I do not even know what I ate for breakfast myself!!!!!!! Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Case in point... Peter :P

So I'm pretty sure, so as not to assume much at all, Italians are just as different from each other as Americans are different from each other and the French etc.. Although I have acquaintances who state regularly that the French are weak in character and all smell bad. I inturn have told him that the day he proves that without a doubt his statement is true of everyone in France, that he should cease speaking directly TO me. :lol:

I guess it would be easier to make a general assumption and say they would welcome me despite the mar of being American, simply because I am family. Those sort of expectations shouldn't be put on anyone though, so I guess when I get a number to call I'm just going to have to take my chances...

**I start my class next Tuesday!!!**
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

study hard and do your homework!!!!!!!!! Peter
rita

Post by rita »

Hmm I'm Dutch (the Netherlands)! I've got a lot of help from the ufficio anagrafe in Brescia to research! !! Just a positive quote!